Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Newbie in aquaphonics

Hi everyone I have been searching the net about aquaphonics and found this very helpful forum. I have learned a lot as I read the topics here and I am planing to build our aquaphonics system in our backyard. I already made my fish tank..its 13ft long 3ft wide and 2ft deep. Currently searching for tilapia fingerlings and grow bed as well. I have red that in growing tilapia fries they put chicken manure in the water and wait for it to turn green before putting in the fries, any thougts regarding this and its effect in AP system?

fritz

Members

Re: Newbie in aquaphonics

welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. .
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Reverse, do you happen to be the same guy looking for red tilapias over at palhs?

There's this ad I saw on olx that sells red tilapia fingerlings for P5 a pop, 50 pcs minimum and their in Parañaque.

If for some reason you can't get any fingerlings, I suggest you just get some adult red tilapias from the supermarket and breed them. Just make sure that you get a female. I don't know much about supermarkets there in the south but I do know at least two supermarkets here in my area (I'm in Eastern Metro Manila btw) that sells live red tilapias.

Members

yes thats me also pm pls. how much your selling live red tilapia thanks

@ JCO & rfeiller thanks for the warm welcome

Members

Bro, I don't sell red tilapias but you can probably check these guys out since they're a lot closer to you. I have a suspicion though that the fingerlings might be from the breeder who has a thread about his pond build at palhs.

http://paranaque.olx.com.ph/kingfish-fi ... -136851831

Worse comes to worst, you can either check the meat and fish section of your supermarket and get some live adult reds or go on a road trip to Laguna or Batangas to buy fingerlings.

Not trying to be an expert here because I'm not but with regards to the spreading of chicken poop, I wouldn't go that route if I were you. That's the common practice among fish farmers who raise tilapia in vast mud ponds. They do that to spur an algal bloom or sustain the growth or phytoplankton so the fingerlings may feed on them. Algae will deplete the amount of dissolved oxygen in your water and cause some PH swings.

BTW, do you have pics of your pond that you can share? You mentioned you were looking for growbeds, what hydro method (NFT, DWC, flood & drain) are you planning or growing your veggies?

Members

thanks for the info bro, talked to the seller and sells it @ 15php / fish size is around 3"

I guess im about to find out how far can the tilapia handle ph swings knowing that they have high tolerance in ph...

for the pond here are some pixx.. learned it from palhs

I will make a separate thread when my AP system is complete

flood n drain is what I have in mind but when I saw this thread my pilot project

im now thinking of continious flow set up...I tried planting tomato in this set up before in our koi pond not knowing that it was already aquaphonics..but it did not work and had no idea then how to make it work eventually the tomato died..maybe this time ill be successful thanks to diyaquaphonics.com

Members

Thanks for sharing. I think I saw that thread in palhs. If I'm not mistaken, you had your water going through your bio filter then to a gutter filled with gravel and gotu kola.

For the growbed, you might want ot look into how this fellow Filipino made his. He just made it out of wood and tarp and uses them for flood&drain and floating raft/dwc. You won't be able to view the photos if you're not logged in though.

http://www.aquaponicshq.com/forums/show ... hilippines

Do you have any plans of adding barrel filters to your ap setup for mechanical/additional bio-filtration or will you be pumping water straight to the growbeds?

Hello and welcome!

What did you use as the liner?

Thanks for sharing the pics!!!

Members

thanks urbanfarmer, the upholstery store call it sakulin, its like a laminated sack..