Members

High PH issue

Hello everyone

I am having some problems with a high PH creeping over 8 -8.3
    with in a few days. back ground on the water, well water PH out of the hose
    is usually 7.2 - 7.4 fish tank is about 50gal sump tank 25 gal
    the only thing I have added to the water 3 cap fulls of stress zyeme
    for water clarity. any advise would be help full
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquaponics3.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	2840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquaponics4.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	2841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquaponics5.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	2842  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: High PH issue

Are you using any other stone in your system besides the hydroton?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

no rocks are added in the tanks,

Members

what happens with just plain well water with aeration? you may find the pH will rise particullary if the water is oxygen depleted out of the well.

Members

do you mean that no rocks were added, or none to the growbeds, but some in the tank?

i'd remove it, unless you have an undergravel filter - if the gravel is in the tank, what kind of gravel is it? limestone will cause your ph to rise as will other types of "gravel"
    don't add any more stress zyme, the ph will drop on it's own through the nitrification process

Members

sorry for not making myself clear last post, There are no rocks in the fish tank. I am only using hydroton
    for my grow media. As far as aeration, I'm running a 4 line air pump 3 lines going to the fish tank, 1 to
    the sump. I have 2 algae eater fish in the sump tank. I also have a small pump in the sump cycling water through
    PCV with small holes drilled in it running into the fish tank (see picture) So I'm pretty sure oxygen levels are good. The fish are
    extremely active and seem to like higher PH levels. I have added organic PH lowering fluid. Not sure of the name off hand. the
    PH will drop but by the next day it's back over 8.0
    Should I consider doing a water swap and cycling without fish for a few days?

Just think I should probably explain how the system works. my main pump is in the fish tank running on a timer.
    It cycles on for 30min every hour (during the day). timer cycles the pumps at night 30min every 3 hours.
    when the pump is running it cycles water into 2 grow beds shown in the pictures
    and a 4in pcv line shown in picture above. The water then cycles back into the sump tank. I also have a small pump located in the sump
    it cycles on the same 30min cycle as the fish tank pump. The sump pump runs water through 2 vertical towers located outside of the green hose
    see picture below, from there the water runs into the fish tank to a 1in pcv line with the holes drilled in. I have equalization line connecting
    the 2 tanks to keep water levels even. The air pump runs 24/7 and the light for fish shuts of during the night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquaponicsverttower.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	2843  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

your ph will drop.. don't add anything besides food for the fish
    some of those aquarium chemicals aren't made to be used for fish you plan on eating

Members

It has been over 7 days and the PH is still 8.2 - 8.4 not sure if I should change the water out.
    I also wanted to note that the ammonia levels .25ppm and have been at that level for weeks.
    Also I'm am not getting any readings on nitrite & nitrates

Members

personally i would change out the water and if the problem persists you can either deionize the water through resins or reverse osmosis.
    on the other side of the issue if you are going to raise fish such as tilapia they love hard alkiline water, nitrifying bacteria love it, you will just need to find the crops that have been developed for your type of water. from an economic standpoint that is what i would do.
    i had a similiar situation in central texas, water soft pH in the sevens after a day or two the pH would be in the mid 8's. i could not break the buffers using natural means such as acid peat. (peat will soften and acidify water) with acids such as pH down it required way too much for the safety of the fish.
    bass, catfish and perch native to the area did just fine. the soil had a hardpan of calichie (sp) a limestone.

Members

what's the temp? it took my small system at least 3 weeks to start cycling using aged humonia in our northeast ohio cool spring (may and june last year).. i was getting ammo readings, stopped adding amonia when it hit 2 and stayed there, for what seemed like forever, then it finally started and i got rites.. a few days later the rates finally showed up..