Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Float bed/grow bed plans

Does anyone have any plans for building grow beds from plywood and 2by2's and 2by4's?

we can't get prefabbed beds here and to ship them in from Australia is expensive and the customs tax on items like that are 100%.

I do have 6 mil plastic. but any others waterproofing ideas would be great. I could epoxy the wooden boxes.

Anyway, I need to see some plans I would like to build 4' X 16' grow beds. no gravel all floating beds.

Re: Float bed/grow bed plans

Have you looked into ferrocement? Rebar, chicken wire, mortar and sand are all it takes. It still would need to be sealed with epoxy, but those materials are pretty much available everywhere.
    stucco's system Expansion
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Would be nice but I don't think the rubberized stuff is available. But I will keep in mind the stucco technique as it might prove beneficial it I can get it so it wont crack under weight. there are some treated lumbers here. Very expensive though. we are talking twice to three times as much as you would buy it for in the States.

I would be great to find some rubberized coating that is safe for fish or like he said coat it with sweet water boat/hull paint or non toxic swimming pool paint.

Members

check out monster fish keepers forum, some folks there have built massive plywood/lumber fish tanks, i've been thinking of going that route...

i recently saw some pics of a pond built on a deck using "dry stacked" 8x8x16 masonry blocks and a liner.. thinking of doing this in my basement, but need to research the "builboard tarp" liners i recently saw but can't find again (cheaper than pond liners and i saw a note on the web page that the tarps were potable water safe..

Members

I picked up a couple of those billboard tarps and they are very thin. They are less thick than one of those blue tarps and more comparable to tyvek house wrap or parachute pants from the 80’s I wouldn’t trust it.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

15-17 mil Thick isn't thick enough? it notes they've been used as pond liners..(and i'd love to have a white liner to see in the ft!) i know that the firestone pond liner is 45 mil thick..
    i might give it a try, i'm thinking of using railroad ties instead of masonry blocks.. could probably build a 300+ gallon pond for under $100, this would probably be made in my basement, so wouldn't have to stand up to the elements so to speak

I need some plans so I can frame a 12"x4'x16' Plywood float trough grow bed in a way it will hold the water weigh. any help for this will do. I will line it with bed sheets coated in rubberized non-toxic roof coating I can build it up to 6-8mil thick or more that way. It will be flexible and virtually puncture proof. But the frame need to be tight with very little movement once the water is put in.

things like how to tie 2X4 together to hold the plywood tanks, also placing it off ground with 4X4's on blocks. We have really wicked termites here and even though we will treat the ground and the wood I don't want to give them any hiding place under the float trough grow bed.

Members

do you have access to preasure treated plywood in an 1-1/8" tongue and groove. if you do cut it in 4 foot lengths and couple the tongue and grooves together, this will provide a very tight bottom. it will provide the shear to prevent to help prevent base movement. build a frame under the plywood of 2x4's. two long pieces 16' 9-pcs 3'-9" to fit perpendicular to the long 2x4's they all rest on their edges not flat. take two 2x4's laminate them together with one 3-1/2" shorter then the other. this forms a notch for the outside frame to rest in. i would place a pair of these on each end and equally place additional supports every 4' on center. or just set the framework on blocks. you can make the sides out of the same plywood as the base or 2x12's. there are a numbers of ways to make this, but this will work and be very strong. remember that wood does expand and contract across the grain. also i prefer using screws they do not work loose when the wood dries. i know of no building system that does not expand or contract; concrete, wood, masonery, steel they all move. the material you are describing should be able to flex a lot more than that.

Here is what I have available.

3/4 inch marine plywood. No tongue and groove at all.

a single piece of treated 2X4 10'is $20. so I will buy untreated and treat it myself. seeing untreated 2X4's run about $9
    Treated 4X4's at 10' are almost $30. Again I will buy untreated and treat my own.

I was going to use epoxy in/on the joints and corners of the Plywood placed on a 2X4 joist and 2x4 X12" support walls. Overlap the bottom plate making it 4X4 and bolting in some 4X4's as posts with 2X4 angled for support from each post. doubling up the joist where the plywood comes together in the middle.

Then I will coat all corners where walls and bottom come together with Elastomeric rubberized coat with reinforced cloth once the corners are done I will lay cloth with a Elastomeric coating over the whole inside of the trough. Building up to 5-8mil thick. once dried I will coat it with white non-toxic swimming pool paint inside and out. That should be water tight.

Do you think that will work

Does anyone know of any youtube video's on how to build a "Swirl Filter"?