Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genovese Basil

Genovese Basil

Genovese Basil (Ocimum basilicum)

Genovese' is one of the most popular herbs throughout the world because it yields 7 to 8 cuttings from each plant and makes the best pesto of all basils.

Genovese Basil is easily grown from seed. The seed germinate readily at temperatures between 75-85 degrees. It is especially suited to Aquaponics and grows to maturity very quickly, however it does best protected from the wind and scorching midday sun. It should be planted outside only when night temperatures reach 50 to 55 degrees.

If you practice companion planting, plant basil near tomatoes and peppers to enhance their growth. Pinch it back early and often to encourage bushiness. Do not let it flower unless you want to let it set seed as this destroys the flavor and shortens the lifespan of the plant.

Save the one that is always trying to go to seed for next years planting.

It has few pests when grown outdoors. Among those are the Japanese beetle and slugs. Japanese beetles can be picked off by hand in the early morning.

As for the slugs, beer traps, (shallow dishes of cheap beer placed close to the plants every 3') drown them when they crawl into them.

If grown in a greenhouse you must watch for aphids and whiteflies.

There are 150 varieties of Basils and all can be grown in an Aquaponics system so pick your favorite and enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Re: Genovese Basil

You can snip the flowers off as they come up to extend the flavor life of the basil.

Members

what's neat about basil, just go to the grocery store and buy a bunch take it home and put it in the system it roots very rapidly. has a wonderful fragrance in the green house. instant plants! not sure which varieties i have one is an italian variety that has a stronger taste and fragrance (purchased at the produce department in an italian grocery store) then also a milder variety or two.

Man, it's so expensive here that it's cheaper to by seed. Basil has been the easiest plant to grow I have ever had. I don't think you could kill basil even if you tried!

At the moment I have Genovese, globe and lemon basil in my GB. 1st time I've grown basil, but it seems like a pretty bulletproof plant.

Members

Is Genovese Basil the same as Sweet Basil?

Yes Genovese is a cultivar of sweet basil

Don't want to start a uproar here but sweet basil and Genovese are two separate basil...they may come from the same family but each has its own characteristics and don't look alike. Genovese is what the Italians like to use for pesto sauce and sweet is for mainly for seasoning.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by dglmann
    Is Genovese Basil the same as Sweet Basil?
    It's not "the same" plant per se, but it's the same species. As stated, it's a cultivar of Ocimum basilicum, which means they are the same species with significantly different phenotypes.

Have a gander at the vast differences within the same species (cultivars): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_basil_cultivars

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Wow! Thanks for the link. I stand corrected, I didn't realize Ocimum basilicum encompased so many vastly different varieties.

No cause for an uproar JCO, if being wrong about basil is the worst thing that happens to me today, I figure I'm doin' OK.

I like to just tear my Genovese up in a salad.