Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bio Filter?

Bio Filter?

What exactly does this object do?

I think I may have made a mistake in not using one. I figured the bio filter was the flower bed that contains my hydroton. But I'm starting to think now it's some other object required in an aquaponic system?

I do have a Hang-on-back filter. But the filter I have in it is just a sponge thing that catches big solid waste particles.

Can someone give me some advice on the matters place?

Thanks for reading!
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Members

Re: Bio Filter?

i've read lots of discussions about filtration and am working towards my own conclusions, based on the results of my "tests"
    it's my understanding that your growbed is your biofilter, some argue that additional solids filtration is required, but i've seen documentation of mature systems in 3rd and 4th years of productions without cleaning, by utilizing worms in the gb's..
    additional filtration (there's 2 main types, mechanical and biological), imho, both would be required if you are pushing the "fish" load on your system - my thinking is based on "rules of thumb" that are argued for/against regularly..
    i'm gradually "growing" a very humble system compared to most of the "backyard" systems you see here, but it has sunfish,(some kind of bluegill) yellow perch, rosy red minnows, daphnia and scuds, i guess because i don't have enough to think about! lol

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i've read lots of discussions about filtration and am working towards my own conclusions, based on the results of my "tests"
    it's my understanding that your growbed is your biofilter, some argue that additional solids filtration is required, but i've seen documentation of mature systems in 3rd and 4th years of productions without cleaning, by utilizing worms in the gb's..
    additional filtration (there's 2 main types, mechanical and biological), imho, both would be required if you are pushing the "fish" load on your system - my thinking is based on "rules of thumb" that are argued for/against regularly..
    i'm gradually "growing" a very humble system compared to most of the "backyard" systems you see here, but it has sunfish,(some kind of bluegill) yellow perch, rosy red minnows, daphnia and scuds, i guess because i don't have enough to think about! lol
    Ok, I think I'm on the right track then. I have been looking for a local source of red wrigglers. I may just go dig into my compost and see what I can find.

Nice combo! that's a lot of species in one pond. How does your feeding process work? Do you feed them separately?

11 Gold Fish

I have been raising Tropical Fish and Koi since 1965 and I have been at Aquaponics for the better part of 15 years and as I have said in the past, I am a purest and having said that, this is how a system is suppose to be set up.

1) Fish Tank
    2) sump
    3) Bio-filter
    4) Growbeds

The water flows (or is pumped) form the fish tank to the sump where solids and particulates (poo) is allowed to settle to the bottom where it can be removed and put into a Vermiculture for worms or on your wife's flower garden, or at the base of your favorite trees.

The water then goes to the Bio-filter where the Ammonia, with the help of Nitrification Bacteria, is turned to Nitrites which in turn is turned to Nitrates (this is what the plants want).

Then the water is coursed to the grow beds for the plants to remove the Nitrates and return the clean water to the fish tank.

Go to a large tropical/saltwater fish store and get them to explain it and show you what and how a bio-filter works.

Some people, for reasons unknown to me (not offense meant to anyone, maybe it's money or laziness or someother reason), feel that the grow bed is the place to pump the Poo and then they throw in a hand full of worms and Wa-La, it's eaten by the worms and everything is peaches 'n cream.....untill...WAIT FOR IT..!

However I can tell you form my own experience because I have tried every idea that has ever come down the PIKE, some day down the road, a year, maybe 2, your are going find that you are no longer growing plants Aquaponically because of the sludge that has accumulate in the bottom of your grow beds. Your veggies will have been turned into BOG PLANTS.

Then comes the chore of shutting down your whole operation and removing all your grow media, washing it and cleaning the worm and fish poo out of the bottom of the grow bed.

And let me tell you, it's not only not a pretty site, but it stinks to high heaven and then you have to find some place to put the stinky mess because if you throw it out in the yard, you are going to have to cover it up or the neighbors will be up in arms.

Now you do as most AP'ers do and make up you own mind how you are going to set it up and....WAIT FOR IT...!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    I have been raising Tropical Fish and Koi since 1965 and I have been at Aquaponics for the better part of 15 years and as I have said in the past, I am a purest and having said that, this is how a system is suppose to be set up.

1) Fish Tank
    2) sump
    3) Bio-filter
    4) Growbeds

The water flows (or is pumped) form the fish tank to the sump where solids and particulates (poo) is allowed to settle to the bottom where it can be removed and put into a Vermiculture for worms or on your wife's flower garden, or at the base of your favorite trees.

The water then goes to the Bio-filter where the Ammonia, with the help of Nitrification Bacteria, is turned to Nitrites which in turn is turned to Nitrates (this is what the plants want).

Then the water is coursed to the grow beds for the plants to remove the Nitrates and return the clean water to the fish tank.

Go to a large tropical/saltwater fish store and get them to explain it and show you what and how a bio-filter works.

Some people, for reasons unknown to me (not offense meant to anyone, maybe it's money or laziness or someother reason), feel that the grow bed is the place to pump the Poo and then they throw in a hand full of worms and Wa-La, it's eaten by the worms and everything is peaches 'n cream.....untill...WAIT FOR IT..!

However I can tell you form my own experience because I have tried every idea that has ever come down the PIKE, some day down the road, a year, maybe 2, your are going find that you are no longer growing plants Aquaponically because of the sludge that has accumulate in the bottom of your grow beds. Your veggies will have been turned into BOG PLANTS.

Then comes the chore of shutting down your whole operation and removing all your grow media, washing it and cleaning the worm and fish poo out of the bottom of the grow bed.

And let me tell you, it's not only not a pretty site, but it stinks to high heaven and then our have to find some place to put the stinky mess because if you throw it out in the yard, you are going to have to cover it up or the neighbors will be up in arms.

Now you do as most AP'ers do and make up you own mind how you are going to set it up and....WAIT FOR IT...!
    Never has Aquaponics been so easily explained. I have seen videos of Sumps and wondered what they were for. Now I know!

So if the grow bed is not the bio filter, then I presume it's some other object that I can build or purchase? Preferably build?

So would you, in all of your experience, ever suggest putting in worms to help digest solid wastes in the grow bed?

11 Gold Fish

You can create a bio-filter out of any number of things; plastic storage tubs form Wal-Mart, aquariums or you can purchase one. You just need to make sure it is the correct size for the amount of Nitrates that has to be processed. As of the worms, I have in the past but after having to spend almost a week cleaning up the mess in addition to my system being non-operational all that time, the answer is an emphatic NO..!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

You can create a bio-filter out of any number of things; plastic storage tubs form Wal-Mart, aquariums or you can purchase one. You just need to make sure it is the correct size for the amount of Nitrates that has to be processed. As of the worms, I have in the past but after having to spend almost a week cleaning up the mess in addition to my system being non-operational all that time, the answer is an emphatic NO..!
    Excellent, I shall do some research on the filters.

Lemme ask you another question related to filtration. Is it true that established Aquaponic systems do not get root rot?

11 Gold Fish

I was thinking a little more about adding worms. What stuff is it that builds up in the flower bed that you are referring too? If you have red worms in your flower bed that eat the solid fish waste what else could be in there?

11 Gold Fish

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t
    I was thinking a little more about adding worms. What stuff is it that builds up in the flower bed that you are referring too? If you have red worms in your flower bed that eat the solid fish waste what else could be in there?
    I just noticed you keep saying flower bed. Are you growing flowers in your grow bed; hence, you are saying flower bed? Just curious

I have red wigglers in my grow bed OUTDOORS. Yes, you will get all sorts of critters in your grow bed, and they come and go sometimes. One thing I noticed is if I plug the siphon and let the bed flood just above the top of the gravel, a lot of critters fly or crawl out to avoid the water. I am sure there are many more than that, that don't even come up. Fruit fly seem to lay their eggs and hang out there too. Although they are a pest, the maggots are good at breaking down the fish poo and other solids faster than the worms or bacteria do. The sludge/poo the maggots leave behind gets eaten up by the worms and bacteria much faster than before they processed it. There are a ton of examples of these kinds of food pyramids in your grow bed, and I am sure you will discover lots of them in time.

INDOORS, I don't think you will get many critters in your grow bed. You can still throw some worms in there, but from what I recall they didn't hold up too well in the hydroton. You should wait until your plants have established a good root system, and then put the worms near the roots. Otherwise, they will get washed down to the fish (which still happens anyway, but most of them stay in the roots). And yes, your fish will devour the worms once their mouth is big enough to go for the kill (they'll try even if it's not).

Yes, I use the terms interchangeably. I will try to say "grow bed" from now on because I am trying to grow basil and some parsley and mint.

If the worms can reproduce in the grow bed, then that would be cool to feed the fish the excess worms! However, I was getting from user JCO that worms were no good and he seems to suggest a Bio Filter instead of resorting to worms in the grow bed.

11 Gold Fish