Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flood and Drain speed?

Hey guys,

Quick question for you experienced guys out there.

How often do I want to fill my tub? Every few minutes? Currently it's about every 5 minutes.

My current setup will drain my flower bed in about 1/3 the time it takes to fill it.
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Re: Flood and Drain speed?

Update, nevermind. It's a lot quicker than I thought, it's about every 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

11 Gold Fish

In my opinion, it doesn't matter much. The greatest benefit the flood/drain gives is the vacuum effect that forces highly oxygenated air into the lower grow bed area, which causes everything to thrive. So, as long as it floods and drains, you are fine!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter much. The greatest benefit the flood/drain gives is the vacuum effect that forces highly oxygenated air into the lower grow bed area, which causes everything to thrive. So, as long as it floods and drains, you are fine!
    Excellent reply man. Thank you for your advice. I presume as long as the roots stay wet the speed doesn't matter.

11 Gold Fish

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t
    Excellent reply man. Thank you for your advice. I presume as long as the roots stay wet the speed doesn't matter.
    That's one aspect of it. You do NOT want to let the roots dry out. That is the fastest way to kill your plants! The other aspect is that if the plants are provided a constant flow of nutrients, even at low concentrations, they will still be readily available and allow the plant to stay healthy while cleaning the water for the fish. I have seen some home experiments that suggest that stopping the flow for short periods of time is more beneficial than constant flow or flood and drain, but I have yet to see such research in a published journal etc... and in fact have seen research published to the contrary, but not in direct contradiction to the fact... anyway too much info... yes, doesn't matter, just don't let it get dry!

That's one aspect of it. You do NOT want to let the roots dry out. That is the fastest way to kill your plants! The other aspect is that if the plants are provided a constant flow of nutrients, even at low concentrations, they will still be readily available and allow the plant to stay healthy while cleaning the water for the fish. I have seen some home experiments that suggest that stopping the flow for short periods of time is more beneficial than constant flow or flood and drain, but I have yet to see such research in a published journal etc... and in fact have seen research published to the contrary, but not in direct contradiction to the fact... anyway too much info... yes, doesn't matter, just don't let it get dry!
    Coming from a hydroponics background, that is the same advice I give to people as well. But I have also heard that there is some kind of aeroponic aspect to letting the roots get partially damp, as opposed to wet. It encourages their roots to turn fluffy white which apparently allows them to grab small micron sized droplets of water directly out of the air... or something like that.

11 Gold Fish

Hm, that probably has to do with letting the little hair like strands stand up. I have seen this in new seedlings that have outgrown their peat puck. When I water them lightly the hairs seem to melt, probably collapsing under the minute weight of the water. I guess it's time to read my botany book that I have been putting off...

Hm, that probably has to do with letting the little hair like strands stand up. I have seen this in new seedlings that have outgrown their peat puck. When I water them lightly the hairs seem to melt, probably collapsing under the minute weight of the water. I guess it's time to read my botany book that I have been putting off...
    I have seen full aeroponic systems where the roots look like balls of cotton. I do believe it has to do with rapid nutrient uptake. Aeroponics was introduced by Nasa I believe as a way to grow food in space. I think Aeroponics is the most aggressive way to grow a plant.

11 Gold Fish

I have seen full aeroponic systems where the roots look like balls of cotton. I do believe it has to do with rapid nutrient uptake. Aeroponics was introduced by Nasa I believe as a way to grow food in space. I think Aeroponics is the most aggressive way to grow a plant.
    There's no gravity in space.

Try to do this at home and see what happens!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg1RMEIP6i4

Every 30 minutes is about right. Faster means you are pumping more water than you need and wasting energy.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow