Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

Re: 10 Goldfish... now what?

the greater the amount of organics in the water the stronger acidic buffers will become. on a closed system eventually the alkalline buffers will be overcome by the acidic buffers. depending on the ppm of alkalinity will determine how quickly these buffers will be broken down. if you want to break down the alkaline buffers and do not want to use acid, you can put acidic peat (pH of 4) in the system. for many veggies a pH of 5.4 to 6.3 is preferred. as badflash said there are plants that are cultivated to withstand higher pH's. the goldfish will not have a problem with any pH from 5-8.5. it is the plants ability to take up nutrients that are bound up as the pH becomes more alkaline (or base).

Is there any reason I shouldn't use chemical PH down? Where do I get acidic peat? How do I apply it?
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t
    Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Sure, you just need to find the right plants. Check for plants adapted to high pH.
    Well I was hoping to grow Basil, Bok Choy, Maybe some Mint. If I choose to grow a plant that will tolerate high PH, will it keep the PH high or bring it back down?
    Those mint roots are going to go crazy on you. Enjoy the grow!

There are several things you can do, but with a pH of 7.7 you will be okay to grow any of those. Those are all easy to grow, and they will definitely grow in that pH. Just play with it for now. You won't have much of a problem at that pH, and you will probably never notice until you have some experience under your belt as far as what a plant looks like under perfect conditions! Trust me, it WILL grow and since it's your first time you will think it's the best in the world until the next time you grow some basil and it comes out even bigger, faster, smellier! Have fun with it, monitor the pH so you can see what does what. Feel free to ask us questions as you go, and we can help demystify things for you; so that, you can learn and do it better.

Nutrient availability chart at different pH

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Sure, you just need to find the right plants. Check for plants adapted to high pH.
    Well I was hoping to grow Basil, Bok Choy, Maybe some Mint. If I choose to grow a plant that will tolerate high PH, will it keep the PH high or bring it back down?
    Those mint roots are going to go crazy on you. Enjoy the grow!

There are several things you can do, but with a pH of 7.7 you will be okay to grow any of those. Those are all easy to grow, and they will definitely grow in that pH. Just play with it for now. You won't have much of a problem at that pH, and you will probably never notice until you have some experience under your belt as far as what a plant looks like under perfect conditions! Trust me, it WILL grow and since it's your first time you will think it's the best in the world until the next time you grow some basil and it comes out even bigger, faster, smellier! Have fun with it, monitor the pH so you can see what does what. Feel free to ask us questions as you go, and we can help demystify things for you; so that, you can learn and do it better.

Nutrient availability chart at different pH
    That is an unbelievably awesome image. Thank you very much for the information!

Another question. I have some seeds in some rock wool cubes that are germinating. Should I plunk those into my clay flower bed? Or should I wait till they sprout?

11 Gold Fish

Is the clay flower bed outside? I assume this is not for your aquaponic system? If so, depends on the temperatures. If there is no risk of frost, then outside is fine. Otherwise, wait until there is no risk of frost.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use chemical PH down? Where do I get acidic peat? How do I apply it?
    You can use HCl or hydrochloric acid, which you can probably find at your pool or hardware store sold as Muriatic Acid. PLEASE, be EXTRA careful and read ALL directions. Depending on the concentration, this stuff can literally melt your face off. Don't smell it, and always pour SLOWLY. HCl pretty much has no buffer capacity for your pH; so, you will see it drop. A gallon of this stuff usually runs less than $10 and is found in concentrations from 10% to over 30%. You won't need much to change your pH... but again, I would suggest just letting the system sit without messing with it much.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    You can use HCl or hydrochloric acid, which you can probably find at your pool or hardware store sold as Muriatic Acid. PLEASE, be EXTRA careful and read ALL directions. Depending on the concentration, this stuff can literally melt your face off. Don't smell it, and always pour SLOWLY. HCl pretty much has no buffer capacity for your pH; so, you will see it drop. A gallon of this stuff usually runs less than $10 and is found in concentrations from 10% to over 30%. You won't need much to change your pH... but again, I would suggest just letting the system sit without messing with it much.
    This "is" my Aquaponics system. And it is inside. If I do not need to lower my PH with PH-down ( I am familiar with the stuff, thank you for your safety words ) then I will not bother. However, if my PH rises about 8.25 will I be ok? Is there any chance it might do that?

11 Gold Fish

Members

you'll be fine, the ph will drop on it's own

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    you'll be fine, the ph will drop on it's own
    Thank you for your advice

11 Gold Fish

Members

i'm still trying to wrap my head around the nitrification process, but it will bring it down