Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More filters

Members

Re: No More filters

Does anyone have a decent photo of these 'water fleas' without magnification?

We've got some critters in our grow tubes and I'm trying to determine if they are beneficial or not. These things are TINY....like smaller than a mustard seed tiny, but they swim around rapidly. I've got pretty darn good eyes, and even *I* can't get a good look at them they are so tiny. I suspect they were imported with the 'ditch fish' (minnows) I brought up from the canal behind the house to feed the brim.

I understand that the critters being discussed are beneficial, which would be a good thing as we've got scads of them in the tubes. that being said...are there any tiny critters one would want to look out for that would be detrimental to system health? (so far my google-fu has failed to provide any enlightenment.)

Sorry I can't help you with an answer to your question but I would appreciate it if you would go to your profile and put in the city and state where you are located. There might be some members close by that could help.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

They sound like copepods to me. Water Fleas constantly swim in a jumping motion. Copepods can swim but like to hang out. Scuds are amphipods and are distantly related to both.

Other than leaches and parasitic worms, there are few pests you can see that are harmful. Bacterial and viral problems are more of an issue.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Phssthpok
    Does anyone have a decent photo of these 'water fleas' without magnification?

We've got some critters in our grow tubes and I'm trying to determine if they are beneficial or not. These things are TINY....like smaller than a mustard seed tiny, but they swim around rapidly. I've got pretty darn good eyes, and even *I* can't get a good look at them they are so tiny. I suspect they were imported with the 'ditch fish' (minnows) I brought up from the canal behind the house to feed the brim.

I understand that the critters being discussed are beneficial, which would be a good thing as we've got scads of them in the tubes. that being said...are there any tiny critters one would want to look out for that would be detrimental to system health? (so far my google-fu has failed to provide any enlightenment.)
    Yes, any pests ranging from spider mites to aphids and beyond...

Members

there are several aquatic predators two common ones on cold water fish are fish lice and anchor worms these are visable and easily removed. if i were concerned about parasites, i would be more concerned with the ones that are microscopic, like: flagelette protozoa, nematodes, tape worms, annelids, flukes these are the ones you are going to be ingesting.
    interesting about the gramaras cleaning and filtering the fish solid waste. they do break down organic matter, what happens to their waste?
    some fish will eat gramaras, warm water doesn't bother them. daphnia only survive in colder waters, so are seasonal in CA. their eggs hatch out in the spring.

Members

i got my dapnia on sunday and scuds went in yesterday!

If you can't see them then get a microscope and take a look. Grammarus flick around like a shrimp but have no tail.

I took some picture with my microscope a while back. I will have to see if I still have them somewhere to share!

I am so disappointed I cannot find scuds here. it could be most of the streams I have been too are being used to wash clothing and the soap had killed most of them plus the water temp get high as 82 and that could be a factor seeing they like cooler water temps.