Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Cichlids

Other Cichlids

Another fish to consider in an aquaponics system is ornamental fish for the pet trade. Besides Koi, African Cichlids are in high demand. They grow to market size in 6 months and reproduce furiously.

Most can handle colder water than tilapia, but won't grow unless the water is in the 70's and need high 70's to reproduce.

Here are a few shots of the ones I'm breeding:

These are also suitable for livingroom & apartment setups as the fish only get to be 4"-5".
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Re: Other Cichlids

Excellent idea!

Members

i read somewhere about koi, and looked a little bit.. you really have to know your stuff, but it looks like it would be one of the most "profitable" fish if you were in it for business..
    i just really like the idea of eating what i'm growing, but who knows what i'll do "down the road"

i know i'm ordering 25 yp friday! (got the ok from the boss, and more importantly the paypal account info! )

Most of these fish retail for around $30 each. You can buy a lot of fillet for that. You also don't have to just do these.

If you set up a 55 gallon tank in the living room, you can grow greens right on top. These guys don't eat plants.

It would be hard for me to put a knife in a fish that purdy.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

The fillets would be postage stamp sized

These are best eaten "FISH-KA-BOBED"
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

nice africans Badflash. love the peacock cichlids, are the yellows, soccolophi? (sp)

another thought would be the fish from acidic rivers such as part of the amazon, and some fish from asia that prefer pH readings in the 5.3-6.8 range which is the ideal ph range for plants and the uptake of nutrients. several of the fish bring good prices at fish club meetings.

the only cichlid native to north america, the Texas cichlid. no where near the value of badflash's africans, but if someone likes aggressive fish, here is a good candidate that is quite hardy.

some of the most valuable, like the discus can't tolerate nitrates even at 20ppm without breaking down. the infamous hole in the head problem (no it's not heximeta) is a result of high nitrates, coupled with a lack of proper nutrients. the condidtion will go away with proper water conditions and diet. flagilate protozoa are everywhere, giardia, hex, spironucleus are three common ones.

Members

I've got a few Koi now. Going to see how fast they grow on Barra pellets.