Members

Good day, from Winnipeg

Good evening my new friends. I go by Scarlen in these parts. I am relatively new to the aquaponics phenomenon.

For about a year now I have been running a small grow in my basement using goldfish and mostly herbs, veggies, and some flowers. Been having some successes and quite a few failures. But it's the failures that teach us the best lessons right? I have really fallen in love with the concept. As a natural, organic cycle ties in very closely to my spiritual practice it is a logical pairing for me.

I have learned so much in the last year or so. Online resources, helpful forums, and many trips to local shops and experts have helped me decide to make it a vocation. I plan, in the spring, to begin construction of a network of greenhouses to create a year-round source for fresh fish, crops, and live feeders (worms, slugs, crickets et al).

My background is mostly technical. I am very adept with computers and most technology. I have various courses in the field. I also have spent many a year in various customer service/retail roles. Most notably, in relation to aquaponics, my time at a local pet store, gaining invaluable knowledge of tropical, marine, and pond fish and their care helps a LOT! The nitrogen cycle is ingrained into me pretty deep lol. Also I spent last summer working at a local greenhouse, learning all I can about greenhouse operations and getting a handle on how stuff grows. I realize that dirt and water are two different beasts. But the concepts are still the same. I am confident I will be able to produce something unique in an area that has had very little exposure to aquaponics.

My goal is to have a large enough operation, fueled by sustainable energy, to offer a Community Shared Agriculture program and provide a learning program for local schools and anyone who wants to know more.

Hopefully I will have gained enough experience by now to offer some assistance to fellows here. I also know I will probably be asking a lot of questions too. I look forward to the exchange!

Take care!
    Boldly growing where no one has grown before.

Members

Re: Good day, from Winnipeg

welcome to the forum

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. I really like your avatar...very original.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Thanks. It is a symbol I created for myself. It is also tattooed on my arm
    Boldly growing where no one has grown before.

Hello and welcome!