Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

Re: Nutrient Deficiency

Ok this is why I ask thanks guys. Is there any other elements I can improve for?

Members

once the system matures, you shouldn't really have to add anything, unless dealing with a specific problem.. worry about it if the time comes..

Members

Dang autocorrect I meant to say improvise. Ok I just am trying to set up a journal so I can know what to do as soon as it happens and so I know what to do if I am not able to ask you guys.

Members

just keep an eye on your plants and fish, worry when something "isn't right" - and then start investigating the cause and treatment.. lots of folks in different forums can help with a wide range of questions..

Members

Ok what other forums would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    For example, potassium can be added by using wood ash from a fire.
    Not saying don't do this. Urbanfarmer is correct. Wood ashes WILL boost potassium levels. But they are EXTREMELY caustic and can raise your pH levels very rapidly, so be circumspect and scientific if you choose this route!

One of my other hobbies is homemade cold process soap making. Wood ashes soaked in water have been used for centuries in place of lye in soap making. A five gallon bucket filled with ashes and water can burn your hands just like lye! I routinely save my natural lump charcoal ashes from my grill, soak them in water and use the solution sparingly on my bananna trees which are phosphorus hogs. But I also have to use sprinkled sulpher in addition to the ash water when i do so in order to keep the soil pH from rising too high. Out of curiosity, I once rendered several gallons of wood ash water into a significant quantity of sodium carbonate and nearly a half ounce (by volume) of potassium carbonate (pure potash). Both are highly caustic.

Best bet is to make the ash/water solution, measure the pH, then calculate how much of a pH increase the addition of the ash water will cause, then add it SLOWLY - over time - so as not to screw up your system's pH all at once!

Just sayin'...

Members

That's really helpful I will remember that thank you

Members

Couldn't have read this at a better time, turns out my eggplant is showing some signs of potassium deficiency Hopefully the maxicrop +iron will help me out a little. I also need to get this stupid ph under control.
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Members

be very careful messing with the ph.. what is your ph at now?
    big changes can stress the fish, which makes the fish more vulnerable to sickness/disease.

ph in the high 7's will be fine, small doses of maxicrop w/ iron will get your plants through it till the ph drops on it's own (unless your media is buffering the ph?)

Members

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    be very careful messing with the ph.. what is your ph at now?
    big changes can stress the fish, which makes the fish more vulnerable to sickness/disease.

ph in the high 7's will be fine, small doses of maxicrop w/ iron will get your plants through it till the ph drops on it's own (unless your media is buffering the ph?)
    ph out of the tap is around 8.4 my system finally cycled and now that i have a new tank i wont need to be messing with water levels or deal with lots of loss from random leaks.

i tested the gravel with some vinegar and saw maybe 5 bubbles after 20 minutes. so i guess its fine

i was hoping the system would bring it down itself, but i havent seen any changes in ph since i got the kit a long while back.

i think i might add just a tad of hcl and see what happens, it seems to be a good ph dropper from what ive read so far ive also read reports of the maxicrop +iron dropping ph, but ill have to be patient and see whats going to go on before i go and mess things up.
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^