Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet-up Groups?

Members

Meet-up Groups?

Hi I'm Michael - new to the forum. I'm in Clear Lake, Texas (Houston).

I've been looking around the web for a couple of months leisurely reading Aquaponics information. Myself and a co-worker are now committed to going for it! I've read Travis Hughey's Barrel Ponics instructions and a few other basic how-to type guides. I've also watched a handful of you tube videos and poked around in different forums.

I'm planning to go with a CHIFT-PIST system outdoors originally, with plans to throw up a green house around it eventually. I have about 25 feet by 15 feet to play with beside my garage. I would like to get a big enough system going eventually to supply our family of four and perhaps some leftovers for friends and family. We eat out more than we should and i hope this would encourage us to eat healthier. I am thinking about using IBC totes or pond liner. I am also planning to shop around at the local feed stores for any livestock watering containers. I'd love to spend as little as possible but still have a generously sized system. I have expansive dreams to eventually add some seedling starter tank areas, fingerling tanks, duckweed, and NFT return runs for lettuce or ?? There is one type of Tilapia that is legal in Texas and I will probably go that route unless i find some other alternative I like the taste of better or something that is easier (cheaper) to get that I like as well.

I enjoy landscaping in general but have not done a lot of gardening before. I was thinking of using hydroton, however I just recently read a post about having to rinse the hydroton in hydrogen peroxide before using. ??? Really? Anybody done this, avoided this, or have any tips about it?

Also, I haven't really stumbled on meet-up groups for Aquaponics, but surely there are some. Any of you Houston area folks like to get together or know of any meet-up groups?

Re: Meet-up Groups?

One of our members – hotrodmike is near you. I’ve never rinsed or heard of rinsing in anything other than water to get the dust off of the hydroton. I think that you have read about hydroponics where it is recommended to sterilize in-between crops (I think for pythium). This is not necessary in aquaponics.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Hello and welcome.

You don't have to bother rinsing the hydroton with H2O2; it's a waste.

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

yeah, you don't have to use peroxide to clean the hydroton unless you had a system crash and some kind of pathogen in your system and had to start over

good luck, and don't forget, we love pic's

Hi Mike, Welcome to the forum....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

hi mike, welcome to the forum. good luck with your set-up. best wishes Big Al

Welcome Mike
    Stucco ,you know how big Texas is ?
    I am out of Austin and thats a bit from Houston but if you ever get up this way hollar .I tend not to be here as much since posting is like a vegas gig ,some times I can and sometimes I cant.
    I have found the Meetup groups to be kind of a joke . I was on two local ones . One I was booted from since I tend to correct BS and the owner did not like that . The other I believe the guy is so full of BS he would make a good compost pile . Both of these people started the groups with the intent of sales pure and simple . The one even threatened me if I started a Meetup Group !
    I would post some pix's but the system won't seem to let me but I will say everything is growing well and we have been eating lots of salads with the lettuce ,beet tops ,green onions . We have also been eating broccoli and the cauliflower is getting almost big enough to eat and my broccoflower ,beets ,and cabbage are getting there . We ate all the greenbeans and I need to get new ones planted . The only problem I have had is the temps last week had me up for three nites keeping the greenhouse above freezing ,now we are back to normal and having to run the exhaust fans to keep um from overheating .
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

Members

I go to Boerne, TX a few times a year to visit my folks. A co-worker who is also an aquponics newb has family in Wimberley. Maybe we'll make a road trip one day, Hotrod.

Yeah, I'm not interested in buying or selling anything. Just hoping to check out a few systems to see how they are plumbed and get some ideas. Sounds like a pretty crappy meet-up group experience.

Members

Well I'm located in the Rio Grande Valley. If you Texas guys get down this way let me know. I would love to throw back a few cold ones and talk about aquaponics.
    Lord, grant me the ability to change the things I can,
    The tenacity to change the things I can’t,
    And the ignorance not to know the difference...