Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Members

Re: Aquaponics 101 Part Three: System Design, Continue

I knew I had read not to expect to raise flowering plants for a while, now I know where I read that. I am in Ky just across the river from Evansville In. I plan to have a pasively heated leanto type greenhouse with one exhaust fan. I have 3 double pane house windows that I can raise with the fan on for cooling.. My back wall will be 2x6 with 5 1/2 inch insilation, and the same with the front and side kick wall. I'm planning on digging down 3 ft and placing the 4" sewer pipe and covering them with 4" limestone, placing the sewer pipe one ft on center verticly and 2' on center horazonily (I may be a rocketscientist, but I cant spell), and use some 12 volt fan to circulate the air powered with a solar cell. I have located the stock tanks at Rual King and I am just waiting on grandpa's day where every thing is 10% off to purchase them. I am probably 2 weeks from starting construction. I have priced hydroton and it is quite expensive, so I may go with river run gravel, as the Ohio river is right here and I hope rather cheap. I value your advice and thank you in advance....John
    Don't blame me, I voted for Sara

Members

I have found this site to be better on pricing than many others. Not sure of shipping costs, haven't ordered or built anything yet.
    http://www.hydrowholesale.com/

Members

Oliver or anyone
    It was stated in part three that I should use a diaphragm air pump capable of producing 7.5 GPH for each gallon of FT. With a 150 gal FT, that would be just over 1000 GPH. I cant find one. To get into the 1000 GPH range, they come in a piston pump, and I was cautioned by a suppler that they were very noisy. HELP. Also Oliver said that two 4 ft Aquafuse lines were added to each GB, but there was no mention of what, or how many or how much to put in the FT. HELP.....John

Members

kyrocketscientist
    if you go to http://www.hydrofarm.com look up air pumps the activeaqua AAPA3.2L 3.2liters per minute is 2 watts and that is plenty for what you have for basic aeration.
    i personally use the AAPA45L 45liters per minute at 20watts it comes with a 6-valve outlet manifold. i run two air devices each on 2-50gal AND 1-90gal aquariums. i use one of those pumps with 6 airstones for a 1000gal FT.
    doing conversions from liters to gals to cu ft can really get confusing; usually the piston type pumps are rated in cu. ft. per min. then there are the turbos that can handle several hundred outlets. there can be some confusion, in that most air pumps are rated in per minute, not per hour.
    just basic aeration you can cover for about $10. you can go up from there depending on what you are trying to accomplish. i have a model AAPA110L pump on a 10" diffuser plate in a 2500 gal KOI pond i had built it for the 1000gal FT and the fish did not care for that much turbulance.

Members

Thanks rfeiller, I'll try them. One supplyer on Ebay, who did the conversion said I needed a 70 liter pump to get 1000 GPH

Members

that will pretty much blow your fish out of the water in a 150 gal aquarium

Members

rfeiller again. The pump you use, ebay says it is a piston pump and very noisy. What do you think?

Members

the pumps that i was referring too for you were the diaphram pumps. the pumps i use do make a noise, which i am not concerned about.
    the ActiveAqua diaphram pumps go up to 25liters per minute, those are quite. i am confused about the quantitiy of air you are going for to use in a single small 150 gal tank.
    if you have a good KOI store near you they, at least in my area carry diaphram pumps, at least very quiet pumps that have a much larger capacity. they can run well over $100-$200.
    there is a big difference in performance between what you can buy at Petco and these pumps. how they handle back pressure is the biggie. good luck.

"The reason for this one to one ratio limitation is that (?????) the simplest Aquaponics design has a low to the ground fish tank..."

Oliver, it looks to me like a paragraph was lost here.
    The topic seems to have changed where I put the question marks.
    Or is it just me?

Thanks
    Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person
    is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.

It does appear as though I digressed. I could go back and rewrite that paragraph for clarity. When I get a little time earlier in the day I will do that.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Oliver
    To measure is to know