Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Members

Re: Aquaponics 101 Part Two: System Design

It will also depend on the type/number of fish as to how stressful they will find 40% water level fluctuations. If you are stocking as if you have a 2:1 ratio then the number of fish will probably mean that the water level fluctuation would be too much and you would need to mitigate the fluctuation with extra water from a sump or some means of sequencing the flow to the grow beds. However, if you are stocking the fish tank very moderately compared to the volume of your grow beds with a 1:1 ratio of grow beds to fish tank then the fish will probably be ok with the fluctuation.

Extra water in a sump tank to handle the fluctuations is good as long as you are not tempted to stock fish in that tank too. There are also some handy things you can use a sump tank for. If you let your fish tank water flow through grow beds before going to the sump tank, you get a "clean water sump" with water appropriate to go to things like towers, NFT pipes, or even raft beds as well as being pumped back to the fish tank.
    TCLynx

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Like UF said...it's up to you.
    I use a sump, which keeps my fish tanks water at a constant height. Which makes the fish happier..they told me so...
    The advantage to a sump is, with the added volume of water, the tempt, DO level, ph, ect remains more stable. The smaller the system, the faster the 'swings'.
    Oh, very true. The more volume of water you have the more "stable" the system is.

I think they lied to you about the fish being happier. I have a written statement from my fish that says they prefer the up and down. They get bored, or so they claim!

Members

Hi,

Just member of this forum a minute ago as I did searching of any valuable topics regarding Aquaponics and found this very interesting forum. I am a month old Aquaponics hobbyist and constructed my own design applying the methods(NFT,Media-based,and Raft) I learned from the net.

Now, I have a question if my design will work. Here's the picture.

Hi connection2wealth, welcome to the forum...
    It looks like you have been busy reading and building. It's too late to warn you, that this is addictive...

Please 'copy and paste' this into 'your own' thread in the section...."BACKYARD SYSTEMS".
    I'm sure everyone will want to greet you, comment and ask questions about your system 'over there.'
    Also, in 'your info'...if you would list what state and general area you are located....you might just find out you have some other 'aquapons' near you. It's nice to get to actually meet and check out other peoples systems..
    Thanks connection2wealth.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by connection2wealth
    Hi,

Just member of this forum a minute ago as I did searching of any valuable topics regarding Aquaponics and found this very interesting forum. I am a month old Aquaponics hobbyist and constructed my own design applying the methods(NFT,Media-based,and Raft) I learned from the net.

Now, I have a question if my design will work. Here's the picture.

It would have been better to put the gravel beds before the NFT pipes because it would act as a filter. I see you have some filters before it, which will help. If too many solids build up on the roots in the NFT it will suffocate the plant. Gravel grow beds are good at collecting solids, and we like them there!

Let's show some respect for Oliver.....and keep 'his' thread 'on topic'. I'm just as guilty of doing the same thing, if not more so...

"IF" JCO has to put on his cape and big boots.....
    he's not looking to take names... :P
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

This is excellent information, Oliver,
    and delivered in a very accessible and practical way.
    Kudos and thanks!
    Don't change a thing!
    Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person
    is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.