Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Members

Re: Aquaponics 101 Part Two: System Design

Hello all

I realize this may be a little dated in this thread, but as a total newbie, I really appreciate Aquaponics 101. I also understand that one size doesn't fit all and that this thread is not gospel. I understand that what works for me in Utah, probably will not work for someone in Australia and vise versa. Case in Point. Tilapia are considered an invasive species in Utah and therefore cannot be used in my system. Prawn of all types (craws etc) are also considered invasive. So my best option at the moment is goldies. After I figure out what I am doing, then I will have to decide on another type of fish. Probably trout, (slow growing) as well as catfish, koi, bass, etc.

My system is the barrel system. No innovations applied, and done exactly to specs in Mr. Hughey's manual lol. I figured to go with a tried and true system to learn from before I started making changes. We are in the process of being certified organic so are on first name basis with more than one state official that we can bounce questions off of.

At the moment my system is running with no fish or plants yet. Nearest goldfish is almost 2 hours away 8(. We are on well water and system built in a green house. There are so many things I don't know, I don't even know what they are. Being able to get ideas and references from here I can check out other options and see if something else would better fit my situation.

Again, I really appreciate and thank all contributors for this forum and maybe in the future I will be able to post and answer or offer options instead of asking all the questions.

Cindy

Don't hesitate to ask. Feel free to start a new thread, post pictures, etc!

Members

Welcome utahgal welcome.
    Everything we know is evolving and improving so jump on board!

Members

Oliver, I'm sorry that some people are giving you such a hard time. It's like the saying goes "you can't please all the people all the time." Yet, I am another person who is truly grateful for your generous sharing of what is working for you... it is giving me a good starting point as I plan my own aquaponics system.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Keep in mind that once the grow bed media is in the grow bed, it will displace at least 50% (Hydroton) of the volume of the grow bed (more for gravel) leaving half or less of the original grow bed volume for water. This should be taken into account when sizing your water pump.

If you are using Hydroton as a grow bed media, a good rule of thumb for the size of grow beds is 3.3 gallons of grow bed (minimum) container size for every pound of fish you plan to have in your system at maximum fish grow-out size. If you plan on a ratio of three gallons of water per pound of fish in the fish tank, then this works out to about one gallon of fish tank capacity to one gallon of grow bed container capacity when using Hydroton as a grow bed media.
    Oliver, I've been searching for the answer to this and have not yet found it related to grow bed volumes.

Based on the numbers you used above.
    3.3gallons of grow bed
    1 pound fish
    3 gallon fish tank

Does the grow bed hold 3.3gallons of water with the Hydroton or is this 3.3gal capacity empty?

I'm planning out my system and want to ensure I have appropriate sized tank. I'm digging for an in ground tank with internal dimensions of 6'x15' at 3' depth. That comes out to 2,000 gallons for the tank which I calculate that I need 267 square feet of garden space at 12" depth and can handle about 660# fish.
    Does that seem right?

I'm using the formula of 1cu.ft.=7.48gal.

Quote Originally Posted by jlawsonz
    Does the grow bed hold 3.3gallons of water with the Hydroton or is this 3.3gal capacity empty?
    That would be container size (empty).

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Members

I would personally recommend a lesser fish load when planning a system. Like something closer to twice that amount of gravel bed per pound of fish. Once experienced you may be able to get away with more fish but if you are having to ask how much fish you can stock, you are really not prepared to handle a system stocked that heavily. One fish per cubic foot of gravel (aprox 7.5 gallons of gravel bed) is a very reasonable amount to start with.
    TCLynx

Members

Oliver, thanks for the forum. It is very helpfull.

My question relates to fish tank and growth bed size ratios in terms of fish stress. I’m not trying for pin point accuracy in terms of volume – just a general understanding.

If I understand the 1 to 1 ratio as presented, a flood and drain system with 2 growth beds will eventually cycle to a point where both growth beds are filled with water (Just before draining). Taking into account the volume of the media, this would require ½ of the water from the fish tank. Hypothetically speaking a 24” high fish tank would then be temporarily lowered to approximately 12”. Assuming this is true;

1. Would the lowered fish tank level cause any stress to the fish?

2.Would this argue for a sump tank to keep the fish tank level constant?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scupper
    Oliver, thanks for the forum. It is very helpfull.

My question relates to fish tank and growth bed size ratios in terms of fish stress. I’m not trying for pin point accuracy in terms of volume – just a general understanding.

If I understand the 1 to 1 ratio as presented, a flood and drain system with 2 growth beds will eventually cycle to a point where both growth beds are filled with water (Just before draining). Taking into account the volume of the media, this would require ½ of the water from the fish tank. Hypothetically speaking a 24” high fish tank would then be temporarily lowered to approximately 12”. Assuming this is true;

1. Would the lowered fish tank level cause any stress to the fish?

2.Would this argue for a sump tank to keep the fish tank level constant?

Thanks
    1) Most definitely, no.

2) That's up to you, but it's unnecessary with gravel grow beds.

Like UF said...it's up to you.
    I use a sump, which keeps my fish tanks water at a constant height. Which makes the fish happier..they told me so...
    The advantage to a sump is, with the added volume of water, the tempt, DO level, ph, ect remains more stable. The smaller the system, the faster the 'swings'.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan