Hello all

I realize this may be a little dated in this thread, but as a total newbie, I really appreciate Aquaponics 101. I also understand that one size doesn't fit all and that this thread is not gospel. I understand that what works for me in Utah, probably will not work for someone in Australia and vise versa. Case in Point. Tilapia are considered an invasive species in Utah and therefore cannot be used in my system. Prawn of all types (craws etc) are also considered invasive. So my best option at the moment is goldies. After I figure out what I am doing, then I will have to decide on another type of fish. Probably trout, (slow growing) as well as catfish, koi, bass, etc.

My system is the barrel system. No innovations applied, and done exactly to specs in Mr. Hughey's manual lol. I figured to go with a tried and true system to learn from before I started making changes. We are in the process of being certified organic so are on first name basis with more than one state official that we can bounce questions off of.

At the moment my system is running with no fish or plants yet. Nearest goldfish is almost 2 hours away 8(. We are on well water and system built in a green house. There are so many things I don't know, I don't even know what they are. Being able to get ideas and references from here I can check out other options and see if something else would better fit my situation.

Again, I really appreciate and thank all contributors for this forum and maybe in the future I will be able to post and answer or offer options instead of asking all the questions.

Cindy