Thread: Backup Power

Backup Power

The ice storm that came thru friday, left us without power and running on the generator, we are still as of this post without power. This got me to thinking, I need to plan for some sort of backup power supply and redundant pumps and air supplies. I have a 30 amp automatic switch that I am going ot use to switch from line power to a battery backup using a 800 watt inverter I already own, should be plenty to run my 60 watt pump and my Tetra AP 300 air pump.

What is every one else doing or planning for backup?

Re: Backup Power

I have a 7.5KW gass generator currently, but will be going to at least a 10 KW diesel generator once I get my Waste Oil System going. With a little luck I'll be selling power to the grid, and if they go down, who cares?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

badflash you have to keep me posted on your fuel set up, i'm going to be looking at propane for my back up simply because if it's a back up it will be sitting. propane doesn't gell or sour like gas or diesel so i would rather look in that direction, plus i have a 1000 gal a 250 gal and a couple smaller tanks about so if i go with the multi fuel,wood coal or pellets primary on a boiler i would want the propane to back it up. i also have a 5k propane kohler generator.
    one life one love.

Members

This unit is quite nice for a low cost back up system. http://www.vanner.com/client/images/man ... _Rev_A.pdf I am setting two of these up, one inside, and one in the greenhouse. With a large deep cycle battery, this unit should power an average AP system for 100 hours +/-. It will kick on immediately when power is lost, and tranfer back when the power comes back. I have a large diesel back up genny, but I have to shut off my main breaker, flip a two pole 30 amp breaker, and then start the generator. If I am not home, and power goes out, I will lose a lot of fish really fast. This will give me needed time to set up the generator. UPS systems for computers do the same thing, but won't give you much time. Anyway, one of these units was given to me used, and I picked the other up on craigslist used for $300. New they are closer to $1300 I believe. But if you keep your eye open, you can find them for a good price.
    This unit also charges and maintains your deep cycle marine battery.

Looks great but a bit pricey.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Looks great but a bit pricey.
    Yes, I agree, but at my cost average for the two units, it is hard to beat. They are used in EMS vehicles, so they are quality equipment. If you can find a used unit for the right price, they are hard to beat for this application. Then again, what is is worth to not find a tank full of dead fish that you have spent months of time on? Priceless.

This was on sale a few weeks ago for $89, and when it is on sale at a local store you can bring in a 20% off coupon and stack it (google for it). That would make it $72!!!

800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator
    http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-66619.html

It takes regular gas and has a small gas tank, but it's better than nothing and cheap as heck! I'm going to grab one next time it's on sale.

If you guys are interested in "renewable power" I have "heard" you can use moon shine to fuel these bad boys. Sometimes, the only mix needed is a splash of gasoline (google it first of course, haha), and you can use a desiccant to remove the water instead of distilling it for fuel purposes.

AND, if you happen to distill some really good moon shine, just remember good moon shine should always go into the farmer not the fuel tank