Members

Helping out a "newb"

Hey all,

I'm interested in getting my feet wet in home aquaponics, but I as a grad student, I am both space- and cash-poor. I'm looking to set up a really basic science-fair style system that will fit in my studio apartment with a gravel bed on top of a small tank of goldfish, and writing a blog and/or article about my experiences (as you can see from the handle, I'm also a reporter, and a somewhat mechanically challenged one at that). Any tips? I've been working on an article about large-scale aquaponics here in Chicago, so I understand the theory, but if someone could walk me through what I need to get a small system up and running, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much!

CR

Re: Helping out a "newb"

For a small system like what you want you should raft using a piece of Styrofoam with holes in it and grow greens.

Set up a standard over the side filter for the goldies. I like aquaclear filters and you don't have to constantly buy replacement filters.

For the top tank you'll use a rubbermaid tub. Get a bulkhead fitting and install it about 3" from the top of the tub. Plumb a return line back to the fish tank. Cut the foam to fit in the top and cut out around the bulkhead fitting. This should end up floating when the tub fills to the overflow point.

Get a cheap small submersible fountain pump. Put it in the fish tank and run the discharge into the tub. Turn it on and water will circulate between the two tanks.

About once a week remove the styro and vacuum out the mulm that collects on the bottom. Let the water settle and return what water you can back to the fish tank. Keep the fish tank topped off.

Periodically rinse out the filter in the water you remove when cleaning out the mulm.

For the plants, cut some small holes in the foam, put in some rock wool and put some greens seed in them.

If you don't know about cycling a tank, read up on that. You need to get the fish stable before you start with the plants.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

my small system used both gravel growbeds and rafts in the flood tanks.. the rafts did really well...

you could use "heavy duty" type rubbermaid tubs and to a gravel growbed, (add some worms to the gravel to help break down solids...) and do a timed pump to fill the gb a couple times an hour..or continous pump with a siphon

if you have a nice shelving unit, i'd have my ft in the middle, with a slo drain to a small sump (sized to flood your growbed) under the ft, with the plant tub on top..

you pump from the sump to the growbed, the growbed drains into the fishtank, and the fishtank drains into your sump

The reason I don't suggest a flood and drain system is that it is anoying in a small appartment. Bell siphons make noise, and the sound change when a pump goes on & off is starling. If that isn't an issue for you, it is a fine idea. Rafts are really simple, and fine for plants that can deal with having their roots under water all the time.

I've seen single tank raft systems as well. The raft is right in the fish tank. With fish that eat plants you need to add cages for the roots. You still need the separate bio filter and periodic vacuuming of the bottom.

Members

I think I'm most interesting in trying a floating raft, just to save on expense. I would still need a separate tank to filter though, right?

Members

Sorry, by which I mean, I'd still need to have a normal aeration filter for the fish tank?

Members

and when you're describing the styro floater- would I essentially just carve cups into the styro with a small hole in the bottom to allow the roots into the water, with some sort of filler the cups?

Thanks for all your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoReporter
    Sorry, by which I mean, I'd still need to have a normal aeration filter for the fish tank?
    I think you are asking if you still have to aerate the fish tank? Yes, definitely. If you are asking if you need to filter the water for solids, yes, you still have to do that too. Floating raft systems don't collect solids out of the system, and in fact the solids can build up on the roots of the floating plants causing them to suffocate and die. However, if you are growing plants that are ready to harvest in 30 days or less, you may be able to skip on the expense of a filter for the solids. Sprinkle some gravel in the fish tank and possibly throw some earthworms in there, and a more natural process should take place. Just watch the ammonia levels, but I did this in my very first tank and I never had a problem, but then again it wasn't a floating raft system either. The worms were definitely eating something, but I'm not sure if you were planning to get into any vermiculture... perhaps I've said to much...

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoReporter
    and when you're describing the styro floater- would I essentially just carve cups into the styro with a small hole in the bottom to allow the roots into the water, with some sort of filler the cups?

Thanks for all your patience.
    Yes.

Actually, you don't need a separate fish tank. You can take a 40 gallon breeder tank and put an aquaclear filter.I would use an aquaclear Model A-610. Put it on one side and get the tank cycled with the fish you want to keep. Once it is cycled and the fish are healthy, cut a styro board to a size that it can move up & down if the water level changes. Be sure to use fish that won't eat the roots.

Just drill holes in the board and insert rock wool in the holes loosely so it can wick up moisture. Put in a seed in the hole and cover with a little more rock wool.

It takes a couple of weeks to get a good cycle unless you know someone with a healthy established aquarium. It also take time for the nutrient level in the water to get to the level that the greens will be happy.

Make the board easy to take out so you can keep the tank clean.

Use a couple of shop lights over the plants to give them enough light.