Hi I'm Michael - new to the forum. I'm in Clear Lake, Texas (Houston).

I've been looking around the web for a couple of months leisurely reading Aquaponics information. Myself and a co-worker are now committed to going for it! I've read Travis Hughey's Barrel Ponics instructions and a few other basic how-to type guides. I've also watched a handful of you tube videos and poked around in different forums.

I'm planning to go with a CHIFT-PIST system outdoors originally, with plans to throw up a green house around it eventually. I have about 25 feet by 15 feet to play with beside my garage. I would like to get a big enough system going eventually to supply our family of four and perhaps some leftovers for friends and family. We eat out more than we should and i hope this would encourage us to eat healthier. I am thinking about using IBC totes or pond liner. I am also planning to shop around at the local feed stores for any livestock watering containers. I'd love to spend as little as possible but still have a generously sized system. I have expansive dreams to eventually add some seedling starter tank areas, fingerling tanks, duckweed, and NFT return runs for lettuce or ?? There is one type of Tilapia that is legal in Texas and I will probably go that route unless i find some other alternative I like the taste of better or something that is easier (cheaper) to get that I like as well.

I enjoy landscaping in general but have not done a lot of gardening before. I was thinking of using hydroton, however I just recently read a post about having to rinse the hydroton in hydrogen peroxide before using. ??? Really? Anybody done this, avoided this, or have any tips about it?

Also, I haven't really stumbled on meet-up groups for Aquaponics, but surely there are some. Any of you Houston area folks like to get together or know of any meet-up groups?