Members

Help with Bell Siphon

Hi, all,

My basement system was tested working the first day and then after I put all the rocks in, for some unknown reason, the snorkel stops working so it just keeps siphoning!! Anybody has any idea to help? I checked everything I know such as snorkel tube length, outlet length, height of bell siphon, etc. It siphons beautifully but it just won't stop. The snorkel tube is making a lot of noises right now but just can't stop. All the measurements are correct and it worked when it had water only....very puzzling. Thanks.
    Fish Frenzy

Re: Help with Bell Siphon

Sounds like You need to slow the flow to the bed.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

I did until the flow is almost nothing and it is still draining... With that kind of flow I don't know if the siphon would start. Any other ideas?
    Fish Frenzy

Does your discharge pipe go straight down? If so then put a fitting with a slight upward angel on the discharge pipe. Maybe ¾ the width of the pipe.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

Hi, stucco, thanks for your ideas. I finally got it working but would like your confirmation that this is normal. Here are some facts:

110g fish stock tank
    50g rubbermaid stock tank grow bed
    Siphon tube length: 7 inches from the bottom of the bed
    Grow bed depth: 9 inches

It takes approximately 20 minutes to fill the tank now to siphon starts and it takes about 6 minutes til the siphon breaks. Are these figures normal? The flow rate coming in looks quite slow but I guess this is what it takes to work.

BTW, I use this plan for the bell siphon and I think it is one of the most intuitive on the net:

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/BIO-10.pdf
    Fish Frenzy

If you look at photo #16 in that link. (good link by the way). I would have that last piece of pipe turned up at the 90 until the pipe is ¼ above itself. The flood and drain time sounds good as long as it is filling and draining all is well.

It sounds like the air break is clogged. Check the small air line that breaks the siphon.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    It sounds like the air break is clogged. Check the small air line that breaks the siphon.
    I have to agree. What breaks the siphon is air. I actually had a similar problem once because I did not build a "guard" around the siphon from the hydroton. Check to see if the medium is blocking the slits at the bottom of the outer tube. That is what happened to me.

Members

Hi, all,

I do have a siphon guard and everything works fine now. For some reason, the flow rate is just touchy; just a tiny bit more flow and it won't break. It now takes a bit over 20 minutes to fill and 4-5 minutes to siphon out and break. Here are a couple of photos:

For now, I have three large tilapias in it to cycle further the system before getting more fingerlings this spring. By the way, I really like Sunleaves' Rocks!
    Fish Frenzy

Sounds perfect. Too low a flow and it won't kick. A little touchy, but very cool when they work. They need weekly maintenace to clean out the growies and slimies.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow