Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: algae

Members

algae

When algae grows in the fish tank, would the algae killers for fish be harfull to the plants in the grow beds?

Re: algae

That's coincidental. I was just staring at the kids' turtle tank because it was SO GREEN. They have UV clarifiers for cheap on eBay. Try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/36-W-UV-Steriliz...item19c23eda48

The clarifier needs power to run, but it will kill the algae and make it clump up. I would put it inline with the water going to your grow bed. The dead stuff will settle and provide nutrients to your plants. The worms will probably eat it too, which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by brent
    When algae grows in the fish tank, would the algae killers for fish be harfull to the plants in the grow beds?
    YES! DON'T DO IT.

Try to keep as much sun out of the water as possible, and you shouldn't have a problem with algae.

I don't know if this is an isolated incidence or not, but the link below gives one mans experience with the Odyssea 36w UV. There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. One denotes quality while the other denotes price. Figuring out which one fits a product isn't always the easiest thing to do. Do some more research before you give China (they manufacture Odyssea products) your hard earned money. It's a sad thing but more and more, inferior products and China have become to mean the same thing.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f2...me-113865.html
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

you don't want to use any algae killers for sure..

a little algae is not going to hurt anything, you just want to avoid a "bloom" (pea soup looking), but even if that happens, just add mucho air and cover, it'll be fine

Members

Why not just add some algae eating fish? Mine are doing work, keep it nice and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    I don't know if this is an isolated incidence or not, but the link below gives one mans experience with the Odyssea 36w UV. There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. One denotes quality while the other denotes price. Figuring out which one fits a product isn't always the easiest thing to do. Do some more research before you give China (they manufacture Odyssea products) your hard earned money. It's a sad thing but more and more, inferior products and China have become to mean the same thing.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f2...me-113865.html
    Aside from the grammatical and spelling errors and that users obvious lack of a 5th grade education, that is a strong testimonial. I didn't realize that product was not UL listed, I just grabbed a quick search on eBay to offer an example. The price tag is attractive, but China makes some cheap junk and they do not care if the product ends up hurting someone. Trust me, that really is their philosophy IN MOST CASES.

Anyway, I digress. From a financial standpoint I would probably still go with the cheap stuff. For example, the 9 Watt UV clarifier on eBay is $20 whereas on Amazon it's almost $140. So, I could buy 7x of the cheap ones for the same price. Personally, that's a good replacement for a "Warranty" because if it lasts 10 months then that's 70 months (or almost 6 years). Lastly, this isn't a vital piece of equipment; so, if it fails it's not like your fish are all going to die in a few hours. It can be replaced in a non-emergency manner, which really leaves room for cost saving for the hobbyist or even small business!

Amazon "UL listed with a 3 year limited warranty." $134.99
    http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-GreenFre...5974385&sr=8-2

eBay "Returns: 14 day exchange" $19.95
    http://cgi.ebay.com/UV-9-watt-Clarif...item43a3e2f2a4

But, as mentioned already, it's even cheaper to not have an algae problem or "pea soup" problem!

A 9W UV won't handle much volume of water to be helpful except in a very small aquarium and it only takes one of these to burn the house down, but you would still have the other nine left, right....OH I forgot the house burned down....they probably went up in smoke with the house, but I'm sure they are covered on you home owner's insurance, that is until the insurance company finds out the fire was caused by use of a non-UL listed product. They might still pay, but all your other sh*t is still gone
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    A 9W UV won't handle much volume of water to be helpful except in a very small aquarium and it only takes one of these to burn the house down, but you would still have the other nine left, right....OH I forgot the house burned down....they probably went up in smoke with the house, but I'm sure they are covered on you home owner's insurance, that is until the insurance company finds out the fire was caused by use of a non-UL listed product. They might still pay, but all your other sh*t is still gone
    Typically things that short turn off at the circuit breaker. I haven't really seen water catch on fire, but I guess it's possible! Also, I think his system is outside... Either way, I would hope it's on a GFCI outlet since we're dealing with water. That's a good point though, if the product shorts it can possibly be enough to electrocute the fish dead, but very unlikely.

I think he said his system has to be portable and I doubt he will have algae problems indoors; anyway, I assume it's small, but the 9 Watt was for example purposes either way. eBay has ALL sizes UV clarifiers! There's nothing wrong with getting UL listed if the price is right.

Not everyone that had one of those faulty space heaters that were sure to start fires had their house burned down. Sure some were just plain lucky, but I'm sure some people anticipated such problems and used the device accordingly. I'm not saying the UV clarifier is in any way faulty, or if it is, as bad as a faulty space heater, but these devices are just tools. Anyone can use a tool better or worse than someone else. The guy with a $1000 nail gun might nail himself if he's being negligent, but the guy with a $20 nail gun from HB (China store) might keep his fingers and toes intact... BUT, the guy with the $1000 nail gun might get to keep nailing his hands and feet longer than the guy with the $20 nail gun. (by the way, did you know that HB nail guns come with really long warranties, that's unexpected but promising )

All kidding aside, you should always err on the side of caution, and safety can be a real issue. If you feel less than comfortable with a product for any reason and you have the means to pay for a product that makes you feel safer, then by all means go for it. I would never trade safety for dollars (even if it's just perceived or emotional and not reality). If I can figure out a simple electrical device and all of the implications of its safety, then I don't mind taking the financially wiser choice!

Members

Instead of buying blind, there are tables for the Calculation for the rate of water flow vs contact time to determine size of uv needed. Many UV systems are over rated. UV is absorbed by all of the suspended particulates in the water. If your water is quite turbid this has to be factored.
    be safe life's too short.

Members

as far as water catching on fire.. i'm from northeast ohio and remember well the cuyahoga burning..

when i was a kid we fished the grand, i remember the "foam" freaking me out, (ok, i'll date myself,,, in the late 60's and early 70's) and my dad explaining that it was from phospherous, (before it was "banned") from detergents, and remember asking my mom to change to a different detergent..

so that was totally off topic, so back to the original path

if you do get a bloom, it will die out if you take away the light, and your fish will live if you provide additional aeration... and when it dies, it produces an inhibitant that will keep algae down