Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: insects

Re: insects

I hope you do start that new thread mommyhen, you've got my interest piqued Links please
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Here's a link to a garden site. This page, lists different plants to use as companions...and ones NOT to plant together.
    http://www.homeandgardensite.com/companion_planting.htm

I also, have always had marigolds in my garden. I was told the 'french doubles', were the strongest smelling ones (?)

In FL, we have a ton of the bad kind of nematodes...dang little root suckers. They are the main reason I started aquaponics.
    I received a catalog from 'Seeds Of Change', they have a 'nematocidal' marigold. They recommend growing them as a cover crop and then till it in. They don't look like a typical marigold, in the picture. Wish I knew of them before....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Here's a link to a garden site. This page, lists different plants to use as companions...and ones NOT to plant together.
    http://www.homeandgardensite.com/companion_planting.htm

I also, have always had marigolds in my garden. I was told the 'french doubles', were the strongest smelling ones (?)

In FL, we have a ton of the bad kind of nematodes...dang little root suckers. They are the main reason I started aquaponics.
    I received a catalog from 'Seeds Of Change', they have a 'nematocidal' marigold. They recommend growing them as a cover crop and then till it in. They don't look like a typical marigold, in the picture. Wish I knew of them before....
    I was just thinking about companion planting. I am going to be planting some bamboo (as a natural fence) and luffa plants (similar to cucumber). I guess it might inhibit the growth, but they grow to 25 feet; so, I won't mind!

Members

Once I get this going and can get some data you bet I will...
    One way or another we will find out if this really works or not, but my friend is adamant that it has made those gains for her. Well see
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

I'm really hoping that you already got rid of your aphids - but for future reference aphids can be pretty easily drowned by taking the entire plant and dunking it into a bucket of water and holding it for a minute or two, swishing it around and then visually inspecting it to make sure you got them all. As long as your system allows for pulling the plants out, that's gotta be the least toxic way of taking care of the problem!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i had pretty good luck using a garlic/chilli/hot pepper spray..

just a drop or two of oil..

boil some garlic, pepper, chilli pepper, (i put in some cayenne too), cool, and put in a spray bottle..

it worked pretty well over the summer, applied after rain, or every few days if i saw any sign of aphids
    Yeah can be!., But I really prefer buying instead of efforting doing that.. But nice idea you got there!!

Members

welcome karldion, how 'bout going to the a place to say hello and introducing yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by karldion
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i had pretty good luck using a garlic/chilli/hot pepper spray..

just a drop or two of oil..

boil some garlic, pepper, chilli pepper, (i put in some cayenne too), cool, and put in a spray bottle..

it worked pretty well over the summer, applied after rain, or every few days if i saw any sign of aphids
    Yeah can be!., But I really prefer buying instead of efforting doing that.. But nice idea you got there!!

WELCOME!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by mommyhen42
    the information you give is the best I have found.
    pretty much agree that this information is one the best about skadedyr (pest) control according to different situations.

Members

What is the best thing for hornworms, or whatever those little B@st@rds are called? Tonight I noticed that they nearly obliterated my broccoli plants. They were so delicate to get started, they were getting nice and strong then bam. I smashed three that I found but, I want to eliminate any possibility of eggs or babies that I couldn't see. Any suggestions on a safe solution? Thanks