Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: insects

Members

Re: insects

I'm with Jacalope.........My secret is to plant and use Marigolds. 'Calendula'
    They are usually planted as a companion border plant to my veg beds....Their pungent smell helps to keep some crawlies away, but not all ! The tea will keep the other lot away......again- not all, but it certainly helps. The smell usually masks the smell of all those good things you have grown.
    First try a bit to see if this does not chase the turtles away.....or they might even enjoy the flavor, who knows?

Making Natural Marigold Insecticide Spray

Take the whole plant.....leaves, stalks, flowers and roots. Shake off the soil in the roots...... Crush, pound or mash the plant.
    Put in a pot and add 2 liters boiling water. Stir. Leave to soak for a day or longer. Strain to clean.
    Dilute with 50% water.
    This you use in a spray bottle and mist spray your effectd plants often till you notice that your problem has been eleviated.
    I normally take the spray bottle with me every time I do a garden walk about.
    You could add a half teaspoon of dish washing liquid to the spray bottle.... this helps to 'stick' the marigold 'tea' to the plants longer and is great for aphid control.

Target insects: Repels some beetles, tomato horn worm, some leaf cutting and chewing insects, aphids, ants, nematodes......
    I have not had a problem with whitefly-yet! so I don't know if it's the tea or the neighbors garden is tastier than mine.
    And for those folk you have chickens...........they say that marigold petals mixed with your chicken feed adds intensity to the color of the egg yolks.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Heres a great link
    http://www.kari.org/fileadmin/Publicati ... 020506.pdf
    I do not have a BEER GUT.
    I have developed a LIQUID GRAIN STORAGE FACILITY

I do not GET LOST ALL THE TIME.
    I INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS.

Members

so its off I go to home depot again to see if I can (1) find the correct marigold, and (2) buy enough to plant plus make the tea... :P
    My favorite store next to harbor freight, but hubbys worst nightmare...
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

mommyhen..................any Marigold plant can be used....
    I have 4 different kinds here by me and they all do a great job.....
    No problem !

Edit : (after thought)
    I don't know your varieties there in the States....but they should be the same...I think ! ? ? !
    If not, maybe use it by seeping it for longer and possibly not diluting it.
    Add, like the others have said.... chilly... ! ! ! Just try.... something has to work>
    All the best.

Members

Thats good to know as I have some growing between my irises. I had a severe problem with whitefly last year and planted an ornimental variety, but then was told that they would not work and that it had to be the variety mentioned.
    Too soon to know if they will chase off the whitefly, but it would be nice.
    I will take one and make the tea with it.
    Thanks
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

I have read time and time again that marigolds help with these things, but I have never tried it. I will definitely try it this season as a bunch of horned worms (or whatever they are called) at my entire bed in a matter of days (I was on vacation only to return to some really fat worms / caterpillars).

Quote Originally Posted by mommyhen42
    so its off I go to home depot again to see if I can (1) find the correct marigold, and (2) buy enough to plant plus make the tea... :P
    My favorite store next to harbor freight, but hubbys worst nightmare...
    HA, I have a similar problem with the significant other! LOL

Members

you should see him with my newest project...
    I have 2 small wind turbines that are connected to 2 batteries each, fuses, circuit panel I made and then to the voltage regulator and finally to some grid tie invertors...
    When I first took him out to the Aviary to see the system and try to explain to him how it works...
    He simply said "It looks like you are creating a bomb out here!"

Ah... he simply feels overwhelmed with the information I tried to give him... So much for getting him involved in yet another project!
    Heaven forbid if he were to watch me clean up a 1/2 horsepower electric motor I found buried in the aviary... He would really be convinced then!

I am also building a DIY HHO system for the car but he insists I do it on his old pickup first.. before my car...

such is life in the country...LOL
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

HHO ?

Look into companion planting. I used to be a dirt farmer before I got into this stuff.
    Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte is a great book on the subject.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Quote Originally Posted by head rush
    HHO ?
    Off topic I know but here is the short explanation
    Hydrogen modifications otherwise known as "browns gas" or water for gas.
    this is where you create/use a device which breaks the hydrogen molecules from water, to give you hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is pumped into your engine via your air filter and is burned along with the gasoline, thereby reducing your gas consumption.
    This is the simple explanation but gives you the gist of what I am currently working with.
    Since I live in California and they passed that stupid bill that will be raising our fuel prices way beyond what the rest of the country will pay... I have to look into technologies that will increase my already good fuel mileage or I will not even be able to afford to drive to the grocery store or my doctors appointments...
    This unlike the so called free energy devices (which by the way are bunk)... is a proven technology to not only increase your fuel mileage dramatically but to reduce your emissions as well.

But I also have another reason for researching this device at this time... If I can obtain a gas generator, and modify it to run mostly on browns gas.... I can use it to run my pumps, heaters, etc and possibly grid tie into the house for cheap! I have a friend in Florida, who did the same thing and has better than 85% browns gas running his generator! That means that he is only using 15% of what would be a normal amount of gasoline with the same results... sounds good to me!
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Off topic. We should probably start another thread for this, Mommyhen.

When you do, please post some actual test results showing energy in vs. energy out. From a science standpoint, it takes as much power to crack water as you get back when you burn it. Generators are only about 40% efficient, so overall you should be losing entergy overall and jacking up your power bill. I can see that if the HHO somehow caused your fuel to burn more efficiently, you could gain a bit, but I just don't see how you could ever break even with this.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow