Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: insects

Members

insects

2 years ago it was white fly in the spring
    Then last year green aphids went after my strawberries before the ladybugs came out
    This year it is black aphids...
    Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of these without hurting the turtles that run this system???
    I still have 6 read ear sliders from when i ran the reptile rescued that never found homes. So I decided to let them feed my small system in the aviary where I grow the best lettuce year round... But I noticed the tips of some of the lettuce to be turning golden and upon closer inspection I found lots of black aphids...
    How do I do in these little critters without making the turtles sick...
    I could move the turtles somewhere else and then treat if necessary but what do I use and how long before I could put the turtles back???
    Taking each one out and washing it is out of the question, this is a flood and drain tub and these are nearly mature heads.
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Re: insects

We have always used a mild dish-washing liquid mixture to get rid of aphids, but I would think that wouldn't work well with your turtles We also have (in the dirt garden) planted marigolds and other plants that will drive away the aphids and such (it didn't do anything for the grasshoppers last year, they ate the marigolds too!)

I know this isn't much help, but I thought I'd put it out there for you to consider anyways.

I have the Urban Aquaponics Manual by Gary Donaldson - from down under. He just says to spray them off with an organic spray (if you have an open-loop system) - I guess that means plain water if you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaponics Manual, pp.87-88
    Pest Control
    Aquaponics growing requires a different approach to pest control.

Fortunately, raised grow beds encourage close inspection of plants so, if you encounter grubs, leaf hoppers and caterpillars, you simply pluck them off the plants and throw them into the fish tank.

Fish seem to appreciate the occasional slater or earwig too.

Insect pests like mites and aphids can often be washed off plant. If your growing systems are open-loop (non-recirculating), you can even apply an organic spray.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

the information you give is the best I have found.
    I can remove the turtles from the system if need be
    But how long would I have to wait before I could put them back?
    I thought about harvesting them early but fear that many would drop off into the gravel to infest the next crop before it even has a chance.
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

i had pretty good luck using a garlic/chilli/hot pepper spray..

just a drop or two of oil..

boil some garlic, pepper, chilli pepper, (i put in some cayenne too), cool, and put in a spray bottle..

it worked pretty well over the summer, applied after rain, or every few days if i saw any sign of aphids

Members

Great.
    I am assuming that I would have to remove the turtles, cant imagine them tolerating such a mix.
    Then I am also guessing that a complete water change (or two) would also be necessary before putting the turtles back, in case any of the mix made it into the gravel and hence the water???
    I have heard of "wax pepper spray" but never found a recipe before.
    Thank you
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

if you use the spray topically, i don't really think it would affect your turtles..

Members

I don't know if you have osh store down there, but the stores in San Jose do still have lady bugs. Black aphids hit my chile plants in the greenhouse before xmas. Let a package of ladybugs loose and they took care if it. Little buggers do migrate hundreds of miles, so they have to be contained. The ones you buy here fly back to Sacramento and then are caught and resold.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    I don't know if you have osh store down there, but the stores in San Jose do still have lady bugs. Black aphids hit my chile plants in the greenhouse before xmas. Let a package of ladybugs loose and they took care if it. Little buggers do migrate hundreds of miles, so they have to be contained. The ones you buy here fly back to Sacramento and then are caught and resold.
    Unfortunatly, I only have Home Depot and Lowes in the area. The nearest Osh that I know of is nearly 70 miles from me... sigh
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Sounds like "HOMING (pigeons) LADYBUGS"! What racket...you sell the, the buyer turns them loose and they come right back home.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Yea that's I thought having bought them several times for the aphids on the 70 or so rose bushes. Next morning no lady bugs in the yard. Then i watched a documentary on the little stinkers. Now only in the greenhouse. They do an amazing job. They still either got out after the aphids were goone or they fell in the fish tanks.