Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: GUNS: What Should I Get?

That's a great idea. I will take some time to rent some different guns at the gun range and get some training. I will post here as I have more questions. Thanks everyone so far!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    I’m way more accurate with the 357 revolver than the glock 9 auto that I’ve been shootin, my wife on the other hand blows me away with the glock 9. She is deadly accurate and mean too. For me it is the size of the handle. Most conceal carry size semi autos feel like a cardboard cutout of a gun in my hand.
    Glock 9 now thats the one I want!!!
    I currently have only handguns I love my 2 38's but am hoping to get a glock for christmas this year...

Get the proper training and be of the mindset that you may actually need to use it... Can you actually shoot a person to protect life and property??? Many people after some deep soul searching find that they can not in all concience fire at an actual person... Some find out the hard way when they actually need to but cant and the wepon is used on them!

Personally I have no problem shooting someone if I need to and actually did... Messy subject when you are a single mom, but they found that I was in the right by shooting him... son of a friend high on cocaine looking for my ex and swearing I had him hiding in the house... first shot went into his truck, the other one a leg, should I have to shoot again I would have had no problem killing him! Luckilly since he didnt heed my warning by shooting his truck, he did get in the truck and leave after I actually shot him. After that he avoided me like the plague! I guess there may actually be some room for learning in a burned up brain!

Before you buy, take a small arms or rifle training course, you will get the chance to handle, clean and fire a variety of weapons. Then you will be more educated on your choice and pick the one that suits you the best
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

I had a 30 cal. carbine, just like the one I carried wilst serving in the Army - which, when I got hard up, I hocked. They did an FBI check when I wanted it back, and the FBI wouldn't let me have it back because I was a Vet (therefore I shouldn't have a weapon?)! My wife had to get it out of hock for me. I have since sold it, and will buy my next weapon off the grid - no records for me, AFAIAC! The 30 cal. carbine is light and small, worked for me, and my wife could handle it with ease as well. The only thing that sets me back on buying another 30 cal. carbine is that 30 cal. ammo is hard to find here in MT. Anyone who has a 30cal. is hogging up all the ammo as fast as the gun shops get it in - a case at a time! The only thing I have left now is an old drop-block 22 cal. single-shot varmint rifle - accurate as can be, despite its age! In this town, I don't have to worry too much about using a weapon for protection, it's pretty tame around here, no illegals, no race riots, nothing to do!

And yes, I'd be prepared to use my weapon if required!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

I am jealous!
    Although I live in a rural area, we are literally 2 blocks away from the city. Thus we see the helecoptors nearly nightly. Sirens, gunshots etc...
    There is a juvenile group home just down the street and the kids occasionally decide to have fun hitting the mailboxes with a baseball bat. Ours is pretty batterred but when it is ready to replace I will have a suprise for them! a large mailbox with a smaller one inside and the space in between filled with concrete!!!!!!!!
    Hopefully that will ring their clock back a bit!
    2 years ago the old man accross the street was shot gang style. Apparently to suppliment his SSI he was growing and selling Marijuana and pissed someone off.
    We also had a drunken illegal sitting in a field 2 properties down shooting his rifled everywhere, he shot my van twice and nearly got me! I heard the bullet whistle just above my head and my hair move!
    Most of the time it is quiet on our street, but just 2 streets down is a new housing project. They are usually bought up by gang bangers and illegals but eventually fill up with families, I figure we have 2-3 years yet before things settle down back to normal here.

Funny thing here if I show my DD214 I do not need any gun classes to purchase a weapon... My flight was the last flight of women to not have small arms training! I really wanted to go thru it... But I grew up in a household of guns so I can take most apart and clean in my sleep...

my 38's are undocumented as they had been in a storage box for the past 30+ years! luckilly they were cleaned and well oiled then wrapped to protect them and they are in beautiful shape. Unfortunatly the 3rd and my favorite, a saturday night special, is missing the magazine and was manufactured in Perris, It is made by Looking Glass but I have been unable to find the exact model I have... I am hoping to eventually find one for it, since it is small I can use it to kill my rabbits instead of breaking their necks. My hands are so arthritic now that it is becoming increasingly difficult to dispatch them, and I am unwilling to give up my rabbit meat.
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD

Members

Ok I have a fair amount of experience with guns and I will suggest you try out these two guns The Springfield 1911 (My every day carry weapon) is not a low budget gun but very accurate has great stopping power( stopping intruders). The second gun I recommend will be the Springfield XD9. There are other calibers in that model but I think the best option would be the 9MM for a couple reasons. Feel free to ask any questions.

Members

Something to think about is when you are going to be using it. If its in the middle of the night and someone has entered your house then a shotgun is a lot easier to hit your target and has a shock value. Over here we aren't allowed to have handguns. But you can empty a rapid fire 22 pistol in a couple of seconds.

Duff makes a great point about 'shock value'.

Your 1/2 awake and it's mostly dark....you get off the first round...

-lets say you shoot him in the flesh of the thigh with a 9mm. It goes right through and the crack head is so high, he barely notices.

-Same shot, with a 12 gauge, with buck shot.....you just removed
    35 % of the flesh on his thigh and shattered the bone.....he's at least going down
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

A very good all round weapon for a beginner would be a Walther P22.

http://www.waltherpistols.com/catego..._Handguns.aspx

It is a double action 22 automatic with exposed hammer and safety. It is very accurate and a very popular concealed carry weapon. If you think that a 22 cal. is too small for protection, think again and take into consideration that more people are killed each year by 22 cal. weapons than any other cal. outside of war zones. The ammo is inexpensive and it is a very viable weapon to learn which end is which Once you become proficient with it, you can graduate to heavier cal. weapons if you choose to.

I have one with both barrels and laser site and I will have it till the day I die. It is a sweet little weapon and very accurate and deadly up to 50 yards in the learned hands of an gun enthusiast.

Shotguns are a great weapon however, being a former military sniper and law enforcement officer, I prefer rifles. If a rifle is your choice, again I recommend a 22 cal. weapon.

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotary...722/index.html

I have a Ruger All Weather M77/22, a bolt action stainless steel 22 cal. rifle with a rotary clip ammo injection system with a Simmons 6 to 18 variable power scope with adjustable parallax. It is an absolute nail driver up to 100 yards with groups the size of a dime and still very accurate even beyond that up to 200 yards.

Here again, the ammo is inexpensive and this rifle can be used to become a proficient marksman hitting targets beyond the normal range of ability of the everyday person. Once you become proficient with it, you can move on to larger cal. weapons if you choose and YES, I will have this rifle till the day I die also.

Join a gun club that has an indoor as well as an outdoor range and spend as much money for ammo as you did for the weapon when learning to handle the weapon of your choice. Do not let gun store salesmen hype you into something you don't need. "Learn not to burn"! OH Sorry, that's an entirely different subject. Good luck
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

That's inexpensive. Thanks, I will make sure to try that one out while I am at it!

Members

For the home shotgum the wife can use it. For me went I`m out 45 or 357.