Members

Newbie from Southern Middle Tennessee

Hello to all from warm (sorta) Tennessee.

I am a warm weather gardener, recently retired from government service, and have been looking for a little project to take up some of my greenhouse space. I have been meaning to get to the aquaponics for a couple of years and am just now getting around to it.

I am in the process of getting a system going. My practice system is roughly 100 liters of growbed with an old 40 gallon aquarium. Right now I am trying to get the bell siphon working consistently (what a pain!). I expect to either net a few bluegill out of my stock pond or just buy a few gold fish to get the system started. I hope to have a few pictures soon.

One question though. What kind of height should the gravel be above the water level?

kennybob
    Never turn down a "freebie". Of course, I get to define what constitutes a freebie!

Re: Newbie from Southern Middle Tennessee

Hi kennybob...welcome...
    Bells can be a pain at times. I have 6, seems like 1 of them always has an issue...
    The gravel should be aprox 1 inch above the water level....just enough so the sunshine doesn't get to the water.

Hope to see a few pictures in your (new) post at "Backyard Systems''. I'm sure you'll get lots of hints, tips and advice there.

Don't feel too bad...it's only 'kind of' warm here too...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by kennybob
    Hello to all from warm (sorta) Tennessee.

I am a warm weather gardener, recently retired from government service, and have been looking for a little project to take up some of my greenhouse space. I have been meaning to get to the aquaponics for a couple of years and am just now getting around to it.

I am in the process of getting a system going. My practice system is roughly 100 liters of growbed with an old 40 gallon aquarium. Right now I am trying to get the bell siphon working consistently (what a pain!). I expect to either net a few bluegill out of my stock pond or just buy a few gold fish to get the system started. I hope to have a few pictures soon.

kennybob
    Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't make it much over 1" as david pointed out!

On another note: I use feeder Guppies to start all my systems when I start one up ..... they make good tasty snacks for the larger fish when the system has cycled and you introduce the large fish into the FT I keep a separate tank for the feeders so I can feed them to the larger fish after the initial "cyclers" have been eaten!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

hi kennybob, welcome to the forum. happy retirement, good luck with your
    system. best wishes Big Al