Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
You may already know this, but gac can be made from different sources such as shale, wood, coconut make sure it is Ph neutral, it can have a Ph above 9. I don't know about biochar.l
It was almost a disaster in my fish hatchery. And it will prevent the uptake of nutrients in plants.
I can't imagine charcoal being made from shale .... amazing! We have a lot of shale around here .... I wonder ...... How do they process rocks/stone to become charcoal? This would be an interesting addition to this thread.

I'm glad we're getting so much information in this thread, that was the intent of separating the two threads - as I said previously, I'd like to know more about the steam process for 'activation' as I'm not thrilled by the idea that something I put into my stomach is "acid-washed.' If my fish live in the water that the acid-washed charcoal is in, I'm not sure I want to eat those fish, if you get my drift! Ergo, I'd like to learn to make my own charcoal, and then steam-activate it ..... that would make me feel a lot better about it!