Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Friendly Aquaponics in Honoka’a, HI

Quote Originally Posted by oboeash
    Thanks for all of the feedback. The weather was rainy and I didn't get a chance to get out to the friendly farm. I appreciate all of the comments. Their website claims profits from farming, less focus on selling products, and that herb doesn't grow with the system. It's funny to hear otherwise.

Ashley
    Well if you still go out there, could you take lots of pictures for us? Thanks, and enjoy Hawai'i

Members

I have heard that the only money Friendly Aquaponics makes is from their tours and video sales, and that the actual farming activity breaks even or loses just a little bit.

Members

I am late to this party, but will share what I know... I read an online 'review' of their intern program, and the guy that wrote it was most unkind, taking personal shots at the owners for 'abusing intern labor' and effectively running a sweat shop. Haven't found any other similar reviews, so I took it as one disgruntled, angry guy... Take it for what it's worth...
    Whether you think you CAN or you CAN'T... You're right.
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

The pressure, Friend said, led them to try growing marijuana in their aquaponic system. Half a year later, in August 2009, Friendly landed Costco as a customer and began delivering 400 pounds of lettuce to the store in Kailua-Kona every week. The farm was making a profit selling organic lettuce for $6.99 a pound — $1 less than a mainland brand, Friend said. "We were on our way," she said. "The demand was so great." Annual revenue in the first year with Costco was $96,000 and headed toward $200,000 in the second year, Friend said. Expansion plans were drawn up to produce 1,400 pounds of lettuce a week.?

But then federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents came calling. "I?was trying to save my farm in a stupid way,"?Friend said. "We sullied our name." Friend and Mann had agreed to grow marijuana for Roger Christie, a Hilo resident and church founder who promoted marijuana use under religious freedom. Friend and?Mann, along with Christie and others, were arrested in July 2010. - See more at: http://www.japan-aquaponics.com/economi ... QCeMT.dpuf
    It's all about the fish, dude.