Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Friendly Aquaponics in Honoka’a, HI

http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com/

Has anyone visited the Friendly Aquaponics Farm in Hawaii or ordered any information? I will be in Hawaii next week and am very interested in their set up.

Re: Friendly Aquaponics in Honoka’a, HI

Hi oboeash, I haven't been there...'yet'....Sure would like to someday......
    My system is based on their's.

You might consider checking out Chris Smith at 'Coastview Aquaponics' too. They do free farm tours on Saturday. They use rafts / DWC too.

Hope to hear all about it when you get back....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I've heard a lot of good things about them, never had any dealings with them tho ...
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

the owners are facing some legal stuff.. marijuana was found in the homes of 2 of the owners.. i don't think they were using ap to grow it..
    one of the managers of the operation recently moved to ohio

from what i've read around the net, they barely break even on fish, and do ok with the veggies (many people seem to think that their numbers are fudged, but they pretty much have ideal climate) - i think that they were trying to make the $ on the "training/consulting"

Members

going to their website it was obvious that the purpose was income from training. the profit margins on farming are just always very tight at best. i would think it would be worth while to go visit the place just to see how it is run and to see the equipment etc. you are bound to gleen information from it.

i can't imagine growing pot with ap the tech used to make it profitiable is not possible with ap.

Members

there's a guy in michigan growing in ap, for personal medicinal usage (it's legal in mi, i think up to 16 plants)

there's a pretty big aquaponics place in the virgin islands that i think would be pretty beneficial;

http://www.uvi.edu/sites/uvi/Pages/A...nics.aspx?s=RE

Members

You can grow it just about anywhere, but the master growers produce several huge harvest in total controlled inviornments per year. Light duration and intensity with total humidity, co2, ph, tds, fungal, pest, and temp. I wasn't clear sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    from what i've read around the net, they barely break even on fish, and do ok with the veggies (many people seem to think that their numbers are fudged, but they pretty much have ideal climate) - i think that they were trying to make the $ on the "training/consulting
    Good points Keith,
    Friendly's, themselves say they basically break even on the fish. They consider them a source of free fertilizer... They are working on developing low density DWC systems, just to see how few fish are actually needed to provide enough nutriants. (less fish food, smaller water pumps/less electric...more profit margin)
    They also tried prawns, guess they grew well in the troughs, but again...they didn't seem profitable enough.

Your right about the 'ideal' climate.
    Plus, considering most veggies are imported there...local grown and the fact they do have an organic cert, has got to help the profit margin. I belive they now supply the Costco's with organic veggies.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl

Your right about the 'ideal' climate.
    Plus, considering most veggies are imported there...local grown and the fact they do have an organic cert, has got to help the profit margin. I belive they now supply the Costco's with organic veggies.
    That must help a lot
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Thanks for all of the feedback. The weather was rainy and I didn't get a chance to get out to the friendly farm. I appreciate all of the comments. Their website claims profits from farming, less focus on selling products, and that herb doesn't grow with the system. It's funny to hear otherwise.

Ashley