Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Members

Re: Grey water to reed bed to AP

I think the AP and HP guys in this world do this on purpose......
    Like a secret shorthand....undercover communication for the informed only.
    Only once you know this code can you become one of 'them' ! :P :P

What do I mean ? crumbs man ! all your abbreviations all over the place.....
    HSM - CP - SP - ICU - IFP - RB - GT - ANC - UC - CHOP(okay I know this one) .........and now RO ? ? ?
    Besides all the rules that we have to follow..... :P .....
    .........Is there a more detailed list posted that has all these abbreviations categorized ? Besides the small one somewhere that tell us that a GB is a gravel bed... !
    If not...........Why does someone with the time on their hands not record this for prosperity and for the common good of us blithering blind ones running around naked playing hand grenade volley ball in a mine field ?

P L E A S E !

And Rich......no need apologizing = You can side track my thread anytime........as long as it eventually finds it's path again, I'm not worried.
    I do not have a BEER GUT.
    I have developed a LIQUID GRAIN STORAGE FACILITY

I do not GET LOST ALL THE TIME.
    I INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS.

RO= Reverse Osmosis.
    A definition thread is a good idea. I'll start working on it. Keep in mind that acronyms are whims and not standardized. Keep us honest. When someone posts one that you don't know, ask them to clarify. Rules of usage say you define an acronym, then use the abbreviation.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Thanks badflash..
    The thing is...you read these in a post/thread that might be 20- 50 posts deep. To be asking anyone at that stage seems out of sorts..... so, no one asks.... and, there we go again ....ignorant as usual.
    I will say thanks for stepping forward and offering to do this...... i'm sure many will add on as time goes on.
    Shot !

Members

Here is a proposed plan of using the grey-water system.
    I was thinking where and how could I use the charcoal in any of these stages? /or if it might even be a waste of time ?
    Maybe use the charcoal at the AP side.... and let nature take it's course the natural way first.

As you can see the water will eventually drain to 3 further beds and eventually onto the main pond. Clean, healed and fit to drink..ready to be piped into the AP system...... !
    Whatcha think ?

I've tried 10 times to resize to a smaller size... what am I not doing right?
    I'm using photobucket... and this image is at it's smallest

Members

hey head rush, lol that was why i only put a few simple words up to start with to keep it simple, giving you links to check out on google to see what works in your case, yes these guys are pretty smart and good with the high tech, but i knew it could become overwhelming in your circumstance!
    my friend if my comments help, a simple way may be keep doing what you are doing, some google time to see what has worked, , put up a test unit, with plants, if you can afford test the water that comes out then see what you have left, that is when you look at things like slow sand or charcoal filters
    here is a link to "Vetiver Grass Technology (VGT)" being tested in guam i think,
    and before any one jumps on me i am not trying to compeat with you other guys.
    you are master blogers and smarter then all i just offer something for head rush to look at , it is offered as one of many plants that can be used, you other guys have given lots of true wonderful information
    http://www.usawaterquality.org/conferen ... labi09.pdf

head rush i do not know your exact situation, i can only say if i was trying to do what you do and if i was on low budget !
    when i consider what types of plants to use see what else the plants can be used for , JUST as one example, vetiver grass, stores the toxins in the roots, and the leaves of the grass can be used for many things from baskets to fodder for livestock, this way you might be able to even sell the grass to help recover some of your expense ( include propagating the grass to sell to land owners and governments for errosion control )
    another example of use of vetiver grass, as a developing tech ( low cost and low tech ) is using vetiver for errosion control and recovery of land in such things as mining areas
    to explain in more debth a possible consideration , depending upon your goals yes
    use waste water to grow vetiver, it cleans water enough to then use on plants and trees ( in dirt) raise the vetiver grass and sell it as a business

I am NOT trying to give you an exact answer, i am just giving you a small humble look " outside of the box" just in case it becomes to complex looking in one direction there are other directions,

somewhere i have saved some info on another test done in california with vetiver, that shows the results of the water test

Dennis,
    Here is the deal. What aquaponics is about is producing useful food and other plants, not simply cleaning the water. Unless you have a use for the grass or reeds, you are missing the boat.

Lets not be putting out pie in the sky, or theories for other people to test. Put out what you have done, what works for you and what doesn't work.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

lol, i knew it, well i did say i would ignor all silly post.

Members

badflash,

kind of seems he is open to what ever simple way to reach his goal , now if he wants high tech i am sure he can tell me thanks but he wants high tech

i made suggestions with very proven tech

about vetiver or bamboo or ferrocement used in tank construction

by the way did you know you can eat bamboo, very good

my first post

gave info on 2 types of grass that he could investagate to use in his system

offered 2 types of final treatment if needed, slow sand , and activated or plain charcoal

low cost method of making very high quality very long lasting tanks that can be used in aquaponics

gave him ideas on 4 differant ways he can make a little money WITH his chosen dream and method to reach his goal of aquaponics

and mixed in a link to look at about how charcoal ( if he had to use )is also used in med's

Moderated by jackalope to remove possible inflammatory wording

Members

....Please friends.... play nice !

Members

I don't know about your reed but what I've played with is cat o nine tails. It is an aggressive Reed growing 5-6' at my house. I do not plant it, but float or weight it down. It forms a very thick mat of roots very quickly.it collects particles and builds it's own dirt. Mound of anaerobic muck. If your reeds are as aggressive I would float them, trimming them from time to time. The gravel I planted mine in became black, gasseous, and of course stunk in short time. It also ripped apart the EdPN liner. A thick rubber liner. For my Koi I use just taro now and it is basically floating.