Lets see if you guys can lead me with this one...

I have to get used to the idea that I need to conserve water.
On the property that we have bought there are 4 houses on the land.
It's an agricultural piece of 3.5 hectares. Each house has it's own septic tank..... Each household has 5+ people living in.
My first concern or job that I will have to tackle there is the consumption of water.
My idea is to collect all the grey water...( water from the shower, bathroom basin and washing machine) pipe it to an outside reed bed configuration where the water will flow and heal.
This I would like to then pipe back to the individual houses for the use in flushing the loo's. (this obviously becomes black water and is never used... (goes to the septic tank, same as the water from the kitchen sink and dish washer)

The extra water coming off the reed bed, I would like to have this then go into a a few settling ponds. With water cleaning reeds and marginal water flowers purifying the water.
From the settling pond I would then have the 'cleaned' water go into the main water pond.
This pond will be for the soul use for holding water.
This pond too will have reeds and oxygenating plants.
It is this water from the last stage pond that I want to use to supply the water to my AP/Hydroponic system.
So................there you have it so far.....
Has anyone used a reed bed to 'clean' grey-water? If so i'd love to see or hear of your set up.
Please let me know if i'm crazy to even think I could do this......I believe it's possible....
I just have to get the system figured out....
Any comments?