Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: How to Plumb a wood GB from sides and bottom ?

Quote Originally Posted by OCAP
    Nice looking bed, i like the poly plate idea for that little extra seal up. Fingerlings got attacked by my koi in the dark, that bastard. He was about 4-5" and had the fingerlings come (smaller then i thought at about 1") I guess they never look as big as the number. Koi was being good during the day, then i argued with the girlffriend at night, shut the light off in the room by accident, and he gobbled 15 of them by the morning....Sucks. Pulled out the one koi and put him in a 5 gal pail until i can build a screen in the tank. The remaining 7-8 tilapia and one shubunkin seem to be doing well though.

Tem1160 - now that is for a raft setup ? Or was that going to get filled with hydroton for some reason ? How often do you exchance the water in the tank, cycle it i mean, continually ? Any added aeration if that is a raft tank ? thanks
    I will eventually fill it with gravel to use as flood and drain bed. It will be a continuous flow flood and drain. The black tank you see in the pic is the future sump. I'm in the process of upgrading my system. Building a 12 x 25 shade house with four 300 gallon tanks and two large grow beds with some smaller raft beds also. I hope to have it ready to go by mid January.I'll post some pics as I build.
    Lord, grant me the ability to change the things I can,
    The tenacity to change the things I can’t,
    And the ignorance not to know the difference...

Members

Looking forward to your thread. Any reason you would fill it with medium, versus growing on rafts ? Different types of plants ?

Technically could i build a raft system in that same size tank and run the water through it ?

Need to build a bed in my basement to move forward, just trying to decide on size and depth, depth is more of my concern for the raft system, i should be able to just use 2x10s or so with about 6-8" useable depth for a raft system ? Is one depth better then another in raft system ?

Thanks

Members

Quote Originally Posted by kellenw
    OCAP -

I'm really sorry to hear about the tilapia getting eaten by your Koi. If the remaining aren't enough to get your going, just let us know. I'm sure Sarah will give you a deal. If she doesn't offer to, tell her Kellen said to! hehehe

lol thanks - she was pretty helpful and followed up several times. I have the mini system in my basement doing well, and will be attending UVI Aquaponics course in March. After that i want to come back to NY and open a 5k square foot "food factory" as i've been calling it, so i will need to figure out what to do for fish...but working on that now to whether to breed or buy ready to go. I can worry about that in a few months though, should be great ! Thanks again.

Keep us apprised on what all you learn at UVI
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

yea im quite curious to see, deposit getting sent in next week, after that theres no turning back lol I need to use my powers for good. Forums have given me a pretty good idea, as well as small practice and a couple books. Before i go renting a factory moving 5-10k gallons of water, i think i need to see it in operation. I will be sure to keep a detailed log and plenty of pictures when i get out there and report back. Wouldnt be going if not for the knowledge gained on these forums.

Members

Hey so I dont mean to poach, but I dont know if the question was ever clearly answered that a bulkhead fitting will go through a 2x6? I kind of assume they would, BUT, can anyone with definitive experience let me know?

Members

I built my raft bed from 2x12's with a 3/4" plywood bottom. This sits on a table built from 4x4 legs and a 2x6 frame underneath the raft bed. I used a piece of 35 mil roofing material that was used. I plumbed it with bulkhead fittings I got at my local farm store. I have found most farm stores have them, but the employees do not know what a bulkhead fitting is. Just look in the tank or implement plumbing areas of the store. That is where I find them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00794.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	4395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130920_150245.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	4396  
    Attached Images Attached Images