Members

Hello From the Real O.C. New York

Hello from Orange County NY ! I know at least one moderator knows where this is lol.

So i finally took the plunge here, go big or go home. Started with my first 20 gal tank setup, pictured, that i just figured out today. I have some good previous hydroponic knowledge as well as construction trade, as well as having a few small businesses in my spare time. I plan on getting my confidence up in the next month or two, and moving up to a warehouse in the spring and doing this full time. Trying to learn all of this stuff, its amazing how there's still more to learn no matter how much you know !
    [attachment=2:2p8487po]20g.jpg[/attachment:2p8487po]
    Ok so current setup i got rigged together because i had to see it to believe it. 20 gal FT with a couple Koi, 25 tilapia fingerlings arriving friday ! Wanted to make sure i got the water ready. 33 gal plastic GB (temporary ?) filled about 8" up with hydroton, 4" sewer drain pipe (drilled) around a 3/4" pvc output pipe (drilled all over), that runs the length of the bed, inside of the 4" drain pipe, and reduces to 1/2" pvc before it goes through the Uniseal (great invention). Then it comes out to the pvc siphon setup and back into the tank, that one piece is just to prop it up for now.[attachment=1:2p8487po]pvc siphon.jpg[/attachment:2p8487po]

Pump is 330pgh 23W, i have it to the point to where i can run it continually now and keep a nice height of water. Going to just get a 4x8 tray for a GB in the basement, but the shipping is like $110 because of the size. I screwed in a 1/2" male to the pump, that had a 3/8 barb on the other. Ran 3/' pex to the GB. Works better then 1/2" to keep the flow down, and bends easier.
    [attachment=0:2p8487po]SAM_0524.JPG[/attachment:2p8487po]

I guess thats the basics, one question to start off here. If i go to build a GB out of wood, how do you seal the pvc to a 2x4 wall ? As in i cant use my uniseal as it wont reach through the wood. Hope that makes some sense...thanks !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20g.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	2719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pvc siphon.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	2720  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hello From the Real O.C. New York

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Very nice and welcome!

Hello OCAP ...welcome to the forum...

Start a new topic in 'Backyard aquaponics'....and I'll answer your question on how to go through wood.....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us ) We love questions, and we especially love photos Please be sure to put where you live in your profile so we know what part of the country/hemisphere/planet you are in ..... someone who lives nearby may be able to help you out personally as well.

We have a great FAQ button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.

We also have another FAQ section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........

When posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules .....
    If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Thanks guys, glad to finally get this moving. Forums were very helpful on my last endeavor and im looking forward to the same knowledge exchange here.

davidstcldfl - i'll try out the search on this and then will post a thread if i cant figure it out. I just cant stand the idea of paying $115 for a 4x8 abs tray plus truckload pallet shipping to get it here. I guess it would be no problem if i was buying a lot of stuff, but a sweet water project wont be going on until close to summer lol.

Tilapia show up tomorrow, ups overnight, gotta love USA infrastructure !

Hey Neighbor, I'm just across the river.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Hey Neighbor, I'm just across the river.
    Fantastic. Thats actually one of the reasons i joined, a lot of local/Usa members. Im on another forum with all the aussies, and its just not the same. Everything is in liters that they talk about, They have nice weather and most of the stuff is outdoors. I need the knowledge of the cold, snowy, indoor lives that we all live. Their board makes me sad im not out running around with the kangaroos, but instead im hiding inside in the 20degree weather.

Same reason I threw in with JCO a few years back. You won't regret it. Good folks here.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow