Members

Hello from Southern New Jersey !

Hello all!
    I know I'm late in posting a greeting so I decided to make time to introduce myself.

My name is John and I come from the State of New Jersey. I got interested in aquaponics after a few trips to The Land in Walt Disney World. When my wife asked for a greenhouse and a small "fish tank" sized hydoponic setup, I did some research and decided to jump in.

As usual, my projects increase in size as I get more interested. I purchased a 6 x 8 greenhouse from Harbor Freight and decided to try an aquaponics setup using various designs from the internet. I was referred to this site while looking online to purchase Tilapia and liked what I read and decided to join.

So far, my daughter and I have constructed the greenhouse. I've made some modifications for support and weather protection. I am slowing getting the componets together for the actual project. I currently am building an insulated fish tank to suppy the nutrients. I hope to use a large fish tank heater to keep the Tilapia alive during the winter months. The greenhouse will be unheated and not actively growing for three months out of the year so I need to incorporate a filter into the design. I hope to get this part finished soon so I can test the heater and system before purchasing the fish.

I work on the project after work, between kids activites, and after homework is finished. Obviously it is slow going but I'm in no rush. I want to have it up and running by March.

Anyway, Hello to all and I hope to be able to contribute to your online community!
    John

Re: Hello from Southern New Jersey !

Hello and welcome! And, it's never too late!

Hi John.....Tell the family we say...welcome !....

You might want to reconsider tilapia...
    The reason I'm even mentioning it....I'm in central FL....we're to hit the freezing mark around 6 or 7am. Toss in a 5 plus mph wind....and my electric meter is spinning faster then a flying saucer in an old sci-fi movie...trying to keep the fish water in the upper 50's

Just a thought....maybe you could 'over-winter' a few breeders inside. Or, purchase some small fry/fingerlings late in the summer, keeping them inside durring the winter....grow them out and harvest the following fall.

Channel cats grow pretty fast....maybe some sunfish or even trout ?

Maybe a few of the members, 'up north' can give you some suggestions...share their experiances (?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

If you can keep the water above 70F you can keep tilapia. If you can get the water close to 80F they will grow. Consider a waste veggie oil burner to heat the greenhouse & water.

For simplicity though, there are lots of cold water species that work.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

hi JohnW, welcome to the forum good luck with your setup. best wishes Big Al