Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hello from Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I added a link for the California regulations here:
    State Tilapia Regulations

As you find the regs for other states, add them to the thread.
    Wow, great work!

A place to say Hello is for just that....to introduce yourself and get your feet on the ground. When that is accomplished, please pick a topic of interest and start your own thread otherwise we will be saying hello every time some one post on this thread. Please Enjoy every minute you are here as we will enjoy having you and hopefully someone here can be of assistance to get you up and running.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Hi Longshot ...welcome....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hi, I'm pretty close to you. I just joined this forum. I'm starting with a small barrel system, but I'm having some trouble finding the fish. Let me know if you find a good source for tilapia.

Members

Hi guys. I live in Huntington beach and just join this forum. Just research for a few months now and have a system planned out and would like everyones input before I decide to get started. I know its a big one considering its my first. But I have to funds available set aside $13k. So in my backyard I have a space of 50x14 feet available. I'm thinking about building a greenhouse that size then lay the greenhouse w pond liner. Then I build like a deck on it. So in my greenhouse the bottom layer is a pond then plywood Will be supported by 4" pvc pipe. On the plywood would be all the trays running from one end of the greenhouse to the other. I'm planning on raising Australia red claws catfish shrimps and mussels. The reason why I have such a large pond is because I'm interested in mainly raising red claws and they need a lot of space. My pond at one end Will be section into 2 other compartments like take 14ft x 5ft and get 2 areas for catfish and bio filter to be put. Then water is pump to trays. I will start with one 4ftx50ft tray first then add more as I go. My width is 14ft so I'm guessing I can have 2 trays easy. Then if I want to grow more I can always hang strawberry towers pvc grow pipe vertical drain into the trays. N also the plywood above the water I can always cut to put lettuce floating rafts right under the tray. In my pond will be 3 layers of 4" pvc Chris crossing each layers. The pvc is cut into strawberry towers so the redclaws can have their own compartments to hide. In between the 4" pvc is 4'x8' lattice laying my pond so there is more surface space for red claws. So what Im doing is making a red claws condo in my pond underneath the plywood. I'm hoping to be able to house close to 2000 red claws with my space. With the fish I'll play with the number of fish I will stock according to the water conditions. I think this is a good set-up to start then tweek it as I go. Please give my your input as I'm gonna start after this cold season.

Members

Hey Longshot, Anyone wanting to do aquaponics, as simple as the idea is, is in for a long walk down, or up, a very long road, which isn't really bad, but you need to read-read-read-read-read, and keep reading, search all the blogs, even just typing in a question where you'd normally put in a website address, and from there you'll find other links. There are tons of things to know if you want to do it right, and you almost have to be a doctor at it. it's amazing how much there is to know in order to get a good handle on it all. Keep reading is extremely good advice as it is very powerful, but no one will do it for you. And no one can answer all your questions, so just keep going at it.

Welcome to the group. You will find everyone here more than willing to help. IMHO you should do a smaller system to learn on and then build your large system. The money can sit and grow interest. If you are like me you will find that if you were to start over there would be many things you would do differently. We all know ourselves best though, so if your going into your system full on, I wish you best of luck.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Thanks for the input guys. I was gonna take a bit of a risk by starting big and adjust as I go. But at a second thought maybe ill just start with one 4'x8' tray and two medium tanks underneath. This can be my trial run then when I build my larger one it will be way better. Now to think about it. If I get going w the big one and somehow have to re-do the pond underneath would be some labor. Lol

Since I'm doing this small setup I can start right away and not wait til spring. I will update in a few weeks

Hey Danny, I'm also new to the forum and also from Socal (Garden Grove)! My friends and I have been doing aquaponics in our backyard for a few years now and always looking to network with like minded people. Check out our facebook page. www.goodmana.com

Hi smokiijas, we are also neighbors! If you want to network with some of us already doing aquaponics in the area just shoot me a PM.

Richard