Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Peppers ..... mine won't sprout :?

Yes, sulfur is an essential plant nutrient and a deficiency will undoubtedly have detrimental effects. However, I can't really follow your logic on it's use in the germination process. Merely stating what happens in a deficient state is not in itself merit or evidence to prove that sulfur is required for germination. Although you state that plants are commonly deficient of sulfur in aquaponic systems, this has nothing to do with seed germination. Adequate pH and temperature are the key factors to getting a high germination rate. Since the seed embryo contains everything it needs to germinate, it really does not rely on nutrient uptake through the seed coat to germinate nor is it deficient. So, what would help pepper seeds sprout? Adjusting the pH and temperature.

Yes, having an optimal level of nutrients will help a plant in the "early stages of development" and the rest of its life cycle. This is not in question, but again, I am trying to draw a distinction between the germination of the seed and the rest of the plant's life cycle, as you mentioned, to answer the original poster's concern of germinating pepper seeds. Please keep in mind, nutrient uptake from the soil does not occur until AFTER germination has occurred.

Now that that is cleared up, I did not know that plants absorbed foliar spray nutrients through the leaf epidermis. Is there any chance you have "recent research" or recall where it was published?? I would like to read it. I have been taught that it only occurs through the stomata, but a brief google search reveals some evidence to what you are saying; however, my references keep leading me back to a commercial webpage selling chemicals for foliar applications. I will keep searching since I was even taught this recently in my Master Gardener training by county faculty. It is definitely something to correct for future curriculums. Thank you for that, this is why I love this forum!

I have asked one of the good doctors up at UF who has a postgraduate specialization in plant nutrition to shed some light on the issue. I have actually found contradicting literature on the subject. The question of how nutrients translocate via foliar application is not just academic, but it has profound practical applications (no pun intended). I will get us an answer!

In reference to your response to my statement about sulfur deficiencies in AP- the statement was made with respect to the forum in general and the fact that this is a safe element in an AP system (BTW- another HOT topic when it comes to APs) - not with respect to the germination. Sulfur as a foliar spray in AP is beneficial to the health, growth and fruiting capacity of peppers. Both germination and fruiting (which you yourself had an issue with on the b. jol.) have been the topic of conversation in this thread- therefore both can and should be responded to, but you should not confuse one with the other- but my logic is to kill as many birds with one stone as possible- let's just say I'm a multi-tasker- so here it goes.
    As far as the Farmer’s trick- don’t’ you know that our farmer grandparents were smarter than the average weekend gardener- but let’s break it down. Sulfur is not used in the act of germination in the way you are thinking because your recent studies told you PH and Temp were the common factors- which is true- but as you know cold stratification and also scarification are necessary for some plants and can be helpful in germinating many types of seeds. In this aspect, sulfur plays a limited role in the deterioration of the seed coat allowing the germination process to occur within a shorter period much the same as a sulfuric acid dip would be used commercially on a quantity of seeds for germination- but in a more gentle and natural way.
    No peppers don’t necessarily need this, but hey- every little bit helps... and what sulfur also does is provide a level of protection to the seed as a fungus fighter therefore giving a better chance of survival to the sprouting seed from a variety of possible dampening off species such as Pythium or Rhizoctonia while also providing a minute amount of acid to the surrounding seed's soil- which we all know pepper plants love. In the end, the embryonic root that has emerged during germination is able to maximize healthy growth thru the use of this very same sulfur!
    So if we are to recap so you can follow the logic: Add sulfur to: 1. Help to deteriorate the seed coat and provide a slightly acidic soil medium which peppers love 2. Fight possible infections which will halt germination and/or seedling emergence and growth 3. Maximize the health and growth of your new plants by making available a limited nutrient in your AP system, and finally 4. Increase the fruiting capacity by use of an AP safe epsom salt foliar spray.
    And just for good measure- you should know that pepper seeds are Phytochromes which means they are reactive to light. Germination occurs as a response to light- If a seed is planted beyond the reaches of the available light spectrum- it will not be able to trigger the germination process.
    Finally, if you are interested there are many current research studies which prove the essential Laws of Cuticular Penetration - which you can assuredly Google.
    BTW- here are some recent pepper photos from the AP- just look at the Cowhorn and Dital's - they are going crazy this season.. the Dital pepper plant is a good 5 foot tall and full of blooms and peppers..the Cowhorn is hiding behind it dripping with fruit. I am just trying to come up with a new sauce this season. I hope you all have fun planting this season's peppers and remember please post photos!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Yes, adding sulfur or anything else to adjust the pH is exactly what I mean by the pH!

I am not familiar with sulfur's ability to fight all or many plant diseases and pathogens, but I guess I have been lucky in the thousands of seeds I have germinated as I have never really had a problem besides finding the right temperature or pH.

Any deficiency, be it sulfur or otherwise, should be remedied by adding the missing nutrient in question. This is not in question.

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a great and inexpensive form of sulfur and magnesium fertilizer. It's cheaper to buy it from the pharmacy/drug store than the garden center.

I have added the foliar spray research to my todo list, but my attention is shifted to learning about other things at the moment.

You should try some giant bell pepper seeds, they grow way bigger than that (hard to tell in the absence of scale though). Mine are enormous and just started changing color. Regardless, your peppers look great! I am a pepper lover too! I got a dital pepper plant this year from one of the other gardeners. I'm planning to save seed for next season.

P.S. I like your fingernail polish!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    P.S. I like your fingernail polish!
    Must be hard to keep it looking that nice when your sticking your hands in stucco all day long.....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

wow, those peppers look awesome!!!!

I have success with peppers and tomatos being started in dixie cups full of peat starter mix. Soaked and place on top of flourescant aquarium lights or PC lights. Water once a day.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."