Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Peppers ..... mine won't sprout :?

My wife planted and sprouted all kinds of veggies. So far, the only thing that hasn't come up is the peppers. NUTS!! At the price of bell peppers (they were $2.08 ea. in Billings yesterday) I wanted to get a few plants going. How is everyone else doing on peppers? maybe we just got some bad seed ..... even tho it's heirloom ......
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Re: Peppers ..... mine won't sprout :?

What brand? I went with burpee this year and it beats those off brands.
    We hate to shop at walmart but burpee was $1 and organic burpee was like $1.50.

soil must be warm it makes a difference, seeds have a built in monitor that is always
    seeking a combination of moisture and heat then it will react. You can germinate a seed
    in the south pole if it has the right condition's.
    ""we are what we eat""

I saok mine for a few hours in luke warm water, then put them on a damp paper towel, fold it up and put it under a glass on a dish to make a little hot house and put it in a warm spot. I usually see rootlets in a day or two and transplant them to what every way I'm going to grow them out.

Did you save this seed or buy it?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

OK, it might have been the cold, we've had very few days in the past 4 or 5 months that the temp inside of the building has been over 40 degrees. But almost all of the other seeds sprouted, and she sprouts alfalfa all the time, so I would have thought that sweet peppers, Hungarian Wax peppers, and onions would have sprouted too. These are heirloom seeds from Irish Eyes in Cle Elum, Wa. We bought those because they were specially for short-season areas like ours. I've emailed the grower, so they may send out some more seeds, and we'll try again
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Most peppers and tomatoes need 60's to 70's to germanate.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Yea some seeds can deal with low temps but not many garden variety. Fascinating seeds
    have built monitors, they monitor outside temps before they even germinate
    and that is truly amazing to me

last year I used a magnifying lens and a camera, I was doing some research
    to see how well seeds germinated on wet napkins. here are some pics
    TOMATOES
    [attachment=2:3ui8spvu]IMG_0364.JPG[/attachment:3ui8spvu]
    [attachment=1:3ui8spvu]3-8.JPG.JPG[/attachment:3ui8spvu]
    [attachment=0:3ui8spvu]IMG_0362.JPG[/attachment:3ui8spvu]
    ""we are what we eat""

When things didn't go right for me, my Grandfather use to say I wasn't holding my mouth right....get a small mirror and look in it while making different faces with your mouth while planting various seeds to see if that will help

When that fails read the instructions on the seed packet
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

It has been a while since your post are peppers finally sprouting?

I have pretty good results when I place my seed starter trays on top of the fridge....it's pretty warm up there.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Oh, I like this topic! I have mostly grown peppers from your everyday peppers to ghost peppers (the hottest in the world). What I have discovered, as many have already stated, is that HEAT is needed. I found the more common varieties of peppers seem to germinate the fastest at 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit whereas the ghost peppers seem to do best at 85-95 degree Fahrenheit (explains why they're so HOT).

On the note of pre-soaking. Yes, using warmer water is better than cooler water as it speeds up the osmotic saturation of water into the seed through the seed coat. I don't usually do this for peppers though, and it is important to note not to use water that's TOO HOT because it will start to denature the proteins in the seed. Also, don't ever put your seeds (even in water) in the microwave. You will literally kill the seed. I may be recalling it wrong, but I read a study that showed damage to seeds at temperatures exceeding 120 degrees Fahrenheit for lengths of time in water!

Now for my ultimate advice that comes from my experience germinating thousands of different pepper seeds... *drum roll*

I have found the BEST method for germinating pepper seeds involves a heat mat, one of those mini-greenhouse germination stations, and saturating and and allowing to dry the seed. To clarify, I make sure that in the first 2 days I get the seeds and their medium real wet (but not liquored up... jk) set the lid off the base a little to allow the heat to cause the moisture to evaporate rapidly and dry the medium and seed substantially, then the next day or the next time it feels substantially dried out (even if the same day) get it real wet again and allow it to dry out mostly (but not entirely because this could kill the germination process although I have never had a problem getting close to 100% germination). What I BELIEVE this does is create several chances for the seed to trigger by whatever environmental events cause it to germinate! The temperature, moisture, contact with soil, and saturation in the seed fluctuate wildly. I liken this idea to strawberry seeds and how they have to be FROZEN to trigger their germination before being planted in soil. Seeds are fickle creatures, and the experience and patience I have gained from germinating hot pepper seeds has dramatically improved my chances of finding a new friend at the bar on weekends... jk again