Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Commercial setups & how their plants are mounted

Business plans are designed to fool bankers to loan you money. They have little or nothing to do with the ultimate success of the endeavor. If you tell them you are doing something new or risky, they say NO!!!. Sound science and hard work is what makes the difference.

Check out Fedex, Microsoft, Genentech, etc.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I think in general, anyone taking on a business endeavor has already made the assumption of working hard to get what they want; however, I do not deny that it is an integral part of a successful business!

Also, I make no claims that a sound business plan will magically create business success. The paper you write it on is just paper, but the wisdom it affords its writer is priceless (or in some cases quantifiable in retrospect, LOL). However, I doubt anyone would argue that following the process of writing a business plan, which includes market research, analyzing your business, and familiarizing yourself with the ins-and-outs of the business you plan to get into, help minimize failure. The long held belief is that 50 percent of businesses fail in the first year and 95 percent fail within three years. Typically, people run out of capital long before they figure out what they are doing, and that's where the business plan comes in... to plan your business!

For instance, if someone buys equipment on credit and intends to make enough to pay the payments, their living expenses, and re-investing into growth, yet finds them-self unable to make ends meet for 1-2 years due to a lack of knowledge... well, that's about how it goes for most failed businesses. Identifying markets to sell to is the biggest problem most small aquaponic farms have, and I believe someone posted a recent article about those exact problems in Hawai'i. If you build it, they will come... not necessarily!!!

It even gets more complicated from there. What are your goals to mark success? $100,000 annual gross revenue or $1 million? What do you do once you get there, keep farming? Perhaps you plan to sell shares and create a board to manage your company more autonomously or perhaps you plan to sell it once you hit those revenues for X amount of dollars? Or, perhaps you are happy making as much or more as your old job as long as you can feed the family? These are questions that get answered when writing a business plan.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.
    --Sun Tzu

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    --Sun Tzu

Members

Excellent post urbanfarmer.