Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Commercial setups & how their plants are mounted

Every time I look at large scale aquaponics setups it looks like they are using some other technique to supply the plants with nutrients other than a ebb/flow with clay balls. For a quick example and for anyone who missed it this was on MSNBS a few nights ago. Short but fun coverage for aquaponics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 6#40203746

They load the lettuce into a tray and put them into their grow beds. Now do you think they flood those grow beds once an hour to feed the plants? Do you think they are using sprayers as a nutrient film technique (NFT), do you think they are doing deep water culture where the bed is continuously flooded and they are continuously pumping air into the water to provide o2 to the roots?

Maybe a DIY aquaponics place isn't where I should be looking. I really want to study commercial setups.

Thanks Guys.

Members

Re: Commercial setups & how their plants are mount

Did I mention I'm a moron and didn't look in the COMMERCIAL section? I'm searching that forum now. Shoot some knowledge over anyhow if you've got something to say.

Members

Re: Commercial setups & how their plants are mounted

from what i've seen (and there has not been much), a couple of "commercial" systems operate using dwc, but that really limits what you can grow (at least thats what i think)

growing power is i think using a combination of dwc and flood and drain.. i haven't checked out their website lately though

sweet water (the company they talked to in that news segment) got setup assistance from growing power, and i think they are using just dwc, but not positive

i was invited to a "seminar" from company that stated they have been doing ap since the 70's but they don't show any examples of what they did, and the guy running the "seminar" never tests water, says unlined galvanized tanks are fine (they might be for a couple years, but then you'll start getting zinc toxicity problems..),, turns out they are just selling "systems" and they won't really talk to you unless you are ready to spend 6 figures (yeah, over a 100g)

to many companies promising to much b.s. is going to set back ap (i think) if people listen to these hucksters and try to use their systems, they will be dissappointed

All these options have been explored in detail.

Depending on the size of the commercial operation you are trying to set up, you can try any system. As you know, a profitable business depends on a profitable business model; so, write up a well constructed business plan and you will make money regardless of what aquaponic implementation you use.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i was invited to a "seminar" from company that stated they have been doing ap since the 70's but they don't show any examples of what they did, and the guy running the "seminar" never tests water, says unlined galvanized tanks are fine (they might be for a couple years, but then you'll start getting zinc toxicity problems..),, turns out they are just selling "systems" and they won't really talk to you unless you are ready to spend 6 figures (yeah, over a 100g)

to many companies promising to much b.s. is going to set back ap (i think) if people listen to these hucksters and try to use their systems, they will be dissappointed
    Your right Keith !
    At the forum 'down under', they have a thread, where people post the links to guys like you were talking about. In fact, I'm pretty sure Rupert and the others tore this guy up....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

you have to remember that they are not going to give you all the information free that cost them thousands to develop. yet people seem to thin they are entitled.

Commercial means to make money, not necessarily be efficient or environmentally friendly, or simple. Most of these places just grow greens. Green will grow on rafts just fine and need no substrate.

They discard the fish solids, or de-water them and compost them for use in dirt farming. Like others have said, if you want to be self sufficient, do it with gravel. You can raft too for greens, but you can't live on greens.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

What about the ntf systems, they seem to work for tocmatos, peppers and squash?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    you have to remember that they are not going to give you all the information free that cost them thousands to develop. yet people seem to thin they are entitled.
    i understand that, but to make baseless claims that they can't back up.. well, it just seems a little disengenous to me, they're just out to make a buck, and in the long run, there are some companies out there that are trying to sell stuff with no real world experience in ap... good luck to them
    there's a guy on the other site from the states, his handle is n8, he's come up with some pretty cool stuff and has shown his progress,, yeah, he's got proprietary equipment that he's trying to market, but he's not a dick about it.. he actually shows whats going on
    oh, and i posted about this on the other site, and yeah, they were ripped pretty well..like any business venture, you'll find legit stuff, and you'll find people trying to make a buck,, all i say is that if you want to claim your system can raise so much fish/veg.. then show me

With all due respect, anyone trying to buy a "business-in-a-box" needs to do more research. I'm not sure what the purchase comes with, but I doubt it comes with a detailed plan explaining the ROI on the equipment purchase. SURE, you need to be able to grow your product in order to have sales, but does it make sense financially? That should be your first question in a commercial operation.

Once you have answered that, you can examine different OPTIONS for getting started. You can build it yourself, hire contractors to build it, or purchase some pre-made junk!

If you REALLY want to study commercial setups, start writing a business plan. Obviously, the aquaponic implementation will be vital to analyzing your business feasibility. It's a long process, but try to have fun with it. As they say, it takes 5 hours to sharpen the axe and only 5 minutes to chop it down. Do it right the first time!

Some videos to get you started. I think you want to SEE some commercial systems, but it's far more involved than choosing the right system; I assure you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9zHtgEsT-c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wqpR8IiFc