Crawdad Identification ....

I got three today, they weren't too expensive ..... I've looked all over the Internet and the closest I can come is that they are a Procambarus Fallax Clik ( I was hoping they were a Marmorkreb and the LFS didn't know it ....... but they're more speckled than marbled, so that's out ......... at the same time, they aren't as speckled as the pics of the speckled crayfish ........ The LFS just called them a crayfish, but they didn't know what kind they were ...... when I figure out how to put a pic up, I'll try to get a good pic of one or more of them and put it up in case someone can identify them. Hopefully by Sunday or so .......

I also decided that this would be a good thread to start in case someone gets crawdads that they can't identify, or have been mis-identified by a LFS, that way if they put a pic up, others may be able to help them come close to an identification .
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Re: Crawdad Identification ....

OK, I was looking at crawdads on eBay last nite, and I found one just like the three I've got, and one of the pics is exactly like the ones I have .... they called it a "Florida Marbled Crayfish" (Procambarus Fallax) look at pics #4, #6 and #7. So I guess I was right ..... OR ..... I was wrong and there's another cray that looks the same except the one's I bought don't have blue eyes ....... so it looks like I'll still be buying a Marmorkreb to get the ones I really want. These, I'll just have to see if there's a male and female amongst them so I can feed the babies to the Goldies . I just couldn't pass these up for the price

ID of crays are a tricky business and best left to experts. To properly ID good close up pics are needed of the back, claws and male reproductive organs. This gets a little tricky and usually takes two people. One to hold the cray and expose the male parts with a tooth pic, and one to take the picture.

I belong to a crayfish forum called bluecrayfish.com. One of the members is a true crayfish expert and armed with such pictures, can ID just about anything.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    ID of crays are a tricky business and best left to experts. To properly ID good close up pics are needed of the back, claws and male reproductive organs. This gets a little tricky and usually takes two people. One to hold the cray and expose the male parts with a tooth pic, and one to take the picture.

I belong to a crayfish forum called bluecrayfish.com. One of the members is a true crayfish expert and armed with such pictures, can ID just about anything.
    These are going to just be to learn a little bit bout crays with until I can get a Marmorkreb. I figured if they were cheap, it wouldn't hurt to give them a try ..... I'll probably grind them up for fish food when I get a Marmorkreb and it has babies

I wouldn't know how to expose the male organ of a crayfish, so I guess I'll pass on that