Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Which way to go on a Bio-filter

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    It's a given you can not start with a new filter that has not been cycled for that high bioload in time to save your fish. There are many different filter configurations out there and most if the better ones will cost a lot more then your 55gal tank. If you are on a budget which most of us are, black lava and a makeshift container connected to an air pump and water pump will get you started. I had 60 - 30 gal tanks on a central "wet dry concept filter of 50 gal capacity. But it has to cycle. Supplemented with small individual sponge filters
    Glad you mentioned sponge filters. They are very effective for the price. They really amaze me, and when needed you can easily move them from tank to tank. Can also move them to a brand new tank to use as an isolation or hospital tank. http://business.accesscomm.ca/ultimatesponge/ These are very cheap, and very effective. 4 of them will filter a reasonably stocked 55 gallon tank with no problem.

Members

Absolutely, a seasoned sponge filter can be squeezed over another filter. great jump starter!

Members

Thanks for all the input on the filter. what I ended up building is a up-flow fliter. I used a 10gal tube from Lowes that is about 13" dia. I built a stand for the botton with egg crate on top with 5 layers of 1" thick filter mat that I had left over from when I had rainbow Trout. The pump I used is a 550gph with a filter on it. The Tilapia may be here by the end of this week or next week. I agree if the Tilapia get to 3-4" I will have to split the tank. Looking forward to raising fish again.

Here is a picture of my current syatem with lettuce growing ( if it works ). I started these by seed 10-2-2010 in rockwool then transplanted them to the floating raft on 10-22-2010. To give you a idea on size the holes are spaced 5" apart.

[IMG]http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd399/01tandy/Hydroponicsystem.jpg[/IMG
    ]

What I have growing is from left to right Red Fire, Buttercrunch, Slobot, Ithaca, Green Towers, Summertime.

I was having problems with PH as my water out of the well is 8.2. I was using Citric Acid to lower the PH but I had to use a lot of it. What happen was it started to grow a slim in the water. I did a complete water change and went to Muriatic Acid to lower PH. Muriatic works so much better. In just a couple of days things looks a lot better. For nutrient's I am using Ionic Grow at 25% rate. As you can see some of the lower leaves are dieing but since the water change the lettuce is greener and the bottom leaves look better. Look foward to any and all input.

Tandy