Thread: Chlorine

Members

Chlorine

Hello all. What is the best product to remove the small traces of chlorine in the water? I need something that only removes chlorine and the few products I've seen also remove ammonia. Any ideas?

metallidog
    http://www.hookedonaquaponics.blogspot.com

Re: Chlorine

Hi metallidog
    If it's only chlorine....just let the water sit for 24 hours, it's good to add an air line/stone too.

You didn't say...if it's city water, it may have chloramines in it, which are differant.
    You can check with the citys water dept to be sure.
    Check this out....
    removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thanks David. I'll call the water company tomorrow to find out how they chlorinate the water. Then go from there.

Members

I can't remember where I read it. It was either a aquaponics webpage or a saltwater page but you can use sodium ascrobate(vitamin C) as a dechlorinator. It works on both chlorine and chloramines and does not effect the pH of the water.

edit:

found it, it was on this site even removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C?

I made an filter nozzle for my garden hose to fill my pond in an emergency. It's 16" length of 2" PVC. I hot glued a plastic scrubby on the end the water comes out to hold the activated carbon. I fill it with activated carbon. The other end has some adapters that allow it to screw into the hose. I reinforced it with ample hot glue. I don't open it all the way because I had some problems with the pressure blowing off the pipe, HAHA. but, I just set it low enough to be able to set it down next to the pond. I have NOT tested it, but the fish survived the one time I used it, and they usually DIE withing a few hours of putting them in the tap water. All-in-all, it reduces my chlorine at least enough for the fish to live or possibly removes most of it. Either way, it works and it was cheap to make.

Hope that helps?

P.S. I know I tinker too much... but if you come up with a better device, please let me know! I buy a canister of activated carbon from WallyMart for CHEAP.

Members

I do like the idea of using a filter. Activated carbon eh? What department do you find that in?

Metallidog

Quote Originally Posted by metallidog
    I do like the idea of using a filter. Activated carbon eh? What department do you find that in?

Metallidog
    The fish section!