Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Wolfracer's System Build

Quote Originally Posted by carson
    Your instincts are right, JCO. Taylor is not one to be trusted!

eh, just kidding, he's my older brother

Anyway, we're really glad to have found this forum and hopefully this weekend will be the start of a long obsession with aquaponics!
    Welcome to the forum taylOr and carson ..... glad to have you here
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Welcome Carson! Glad to see more people getting into this. The more we have the more we can learn from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by carson
    Anyway, we're really glad to have found this forum and hopefully this weekend will be the start of a long obsession with aquaponics!
    obsession is right! I spend way to much time on this, but enjoy every minute!

I spoke to the guy that I bought my catfish from, and it might be a bit before I can get some more because of all the high water. So I went out and got 24 large goldfish and they seem to be doing well. Time will tell, once I can get my cats, these will be what they were intended for bait!
    I also put up sun shade today because the greenhouse got rather warm yesterday and the plants looked slightly cooked.

Here's my question, I have plenty of catfish pellets will the goldfish eat these?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfracer
    Here's my question, I have plenty of catfish pellets will the goldfish eat these?
    Goldies will eat just about anything, from what I've seen ...... just don't go to Koko's and tell them you're using them for food, bait, or anything else other than a pet. Also, don't tell them that you have more than 1 goldie per 10 gallons Anything like that will get you flamed (Voice of experience)

ClorAm-X isn't approved by the FDA. They say it is not under their jurisdiction. There is a difference. It does look like a good product and inexpensive too.

The ultimate water test is daphnia (water fleas). Any chemical you use for water conditioning, FDA approved or not, should be tested to see if daphnia can live in aged water so treated. If you can produce a growing population of daphnia it is a good treatment. If not, then reconsider. Taking out chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia is only one aspect. Also keep in mind that most of the harmful chemicals are simply bound up and not actually removed.

My water source had loads of other stuff like hydrocarbons and PCB's. Daphnia never had a chance. Now with my water filter in place they thrive. Removal is better than adding stuff.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

It may be completely safe, but that has not been determined. Try the water flea test. If they thrive, no worries.

People will say anything to sell a product. The truth is not a barrier to a good sales pitch.

BTW- I've used Amquel+ for years and this is pretty much the same thing. Kodon and he parted ways and Kordon appears to have done this fellow a dirty deal. Amquel+ worked fine for me until the town started treating with Chloramine, after that my inverts failed to thrive and I could no longer grow water fleas. The Kold-Sterile filter fixed that for me.

I use Amquel+ for shipping critters and it works fine for that. Be aware that many test kits for nitrate, nitrite, etc. will not give reliable readings when using these chemicals.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Time for an update

Fish are doing really well, over a week and no losses. Water chemistry is doing really well also. ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all hovering around zero. PH is still a little high at 8.2 but I think this will go down over time as the small amount of limestone is dissolved.

I have been fighting a new issue now Heat! The green house is getting to hot for the plants and they are suffering . So I added shade cloth which helped alot but still wasn't enough.

Shade cloth

Next came the exhaust fan this works rather well and keeps the plants around 80 during the 85 - 90 degree parts of the day. (who knew it would get that hot in may in kansas).
    I still need to get a protective vent on the outside.

Exhaust fan

If you look real close at the picture you can see a small brown tube hanging down from the roof. This is part of a misting system I am trying out. This brings me to the question I have for you guys.

Since this is ran off of the Rural water and it contains chloamine how much risk is there of contaminating my fish tank given the small amount of mist this produces (only using 3 nozzles)?

Time for an update

If you look real close at the picture you can see a small brown tube hanging down from the roof. This is part of a misting system I am trying out. This brings me to the question I have for you guys.

Since this is ran off of the Rural water and it contains chloamine how much risk is there of contaminating my fish tank given the small amount of mist this produces (only using 3 nozzles)?
    How many GPH are those misting nozzles rated? That will give you an idea of how much Chloramine is being transferred to your FT via the GBs.

I guess we're pretty fortunate here, they don't use Chlorine or Chloramine unless the state comes by and tests the water and then they only use Chlorine for a couple of weeks

Time for an update !

Got a call from the fish farm guy on Monday saying the water had gone down far enough for him to capture some more fry. I went over last night and picked up 50 catfish fry about 3-4" long.

Learned something about GPS's and country roads, when I turned down the road to his place I am glad I had my 4wd hemi Dodge quad cab because I had to battle thru 1-1/2 miles of nothing but mud to get back to a civilized road.
    While I was talking to him , he said he supplied fish to guy in Oklahoma that is running an aquaponics system raising catfish and selling Swiss chard commercially. Basically he told Mark that he could grow chard the best and fastest and had a market outlet for it.

Bag of 50 Catfish Fry

The Bok Choy I had got creamed by the heat so I replaced it with zuchinni which is going absolutely nuts! I also planted cherry tomato plants where my spinach was struggling and they seem to be doing rather well. The green bean plants I planted are also doing well , they are growing twice as fast as the ones that were planted at the same time in my regular garden plot. The original Tomato's I planted are really looking wasted to many transistion's from lack of nutrients & high heat & high PH before I got everything stabilized I think. Pepper plants are still hanging in but they are just not doing that well. My PH is coming down (7.8) but I don't have where it needs to be. Kinda of wished I had gone with Hydroton instead of gravel but just couldn't afford it. That would have beedn the difference between doing this and not.
    I will try and get some pictures of the plants in the next day or two.

Still working on the misting system but it has kinda of back burnered itself while I sort out other life issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie
    Next came the exhaust fan this works rather well and keeps the plants around 80 during the 85 - 90 degree parts of the day
    Nice! What temp does your water stay at?
    I haven't seen it go over 80 yet, but since I'm at work during the hottest part of the day I'm I might be missing it.