Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Re: Wolfracer's System Build

Update with Pictures

I noticed that algae was starting to grow in my fish tank, and I read that limiting the amount of light would retard the growth of algae. I also noticed that I was getting large temperature swings in the fish tank. So here is my solution. I purchased some of the R15 Astro Foil and insulated the fish tank. Because of all the piping and tubing this was quite and untertaking. I would recomend any one using an IBC for a fish tank to consider installing the insulation before the tank is full of water and the piping is fully connected. This thing is really starting to look like something from NASA.

I am still cycling my system without fish and I am seeing test results that pretty much indicate I am in the middle of the cycle or nearing the end. Ammonia has dropped to .25 ppm nitrites are up to 1.0 ppm and nitrates are at 10 ppm. the plants are responding really well to the raise in nitrates.

My PH is still setting at 8.4 but I am hoping it will drop once the cycling is complete. Is there a good way to get rid of the algae without harming the plants? Or should I not worrry about it now that I have the tank covered and let the fish take care of it once I get them.

Well let me know what you think! :P

Unless it's getting real thick, or you're getting pond scum, I wouldn't worry too much about it, You're going with channel cats, aren't you? I believe they will eat a lot of the algae down when you get them in there ..... that's not for their complete diet, mind you, but if they eat algae, that's good for you ! Nice Star Wars holodeck simulation you've got there ..... mind showing us the real FT?
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

wow wolf looks like you've got that party started
    one life one love.

Members

Great system so far Wolfracer, you did a fantastic job. I'm just starting out with this, in the collecting materials and planning phase.
    I've got 3 questions for you =)

1) I am curious why you went with 9 small grow beds... was it just because you found them on sale? If you had found a bigger tub would you have used it?

2) What is the duration of each flood and drain cycle?

3) Let me get this straight- you only have 1 pump, which pumps water from the sump into the fish tank? Then a gravity siphon moves the water into the grow beds?

Thanks tayl0r I 'll see if I can answer your questions or at least explain my mindset on this.

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0r
    1) I am curious why you went with 9 small grow beds... was it just because you found them on sale? If you had found a bigger tub would you have used it?
    My thinking here was based on space and companion planting. I have a very limited amount of space inside the greenhouse and I wanted to contain the system to it. Having 9 seperate growbeds I was thinking wether right or wrong , that I could do some companion planting. (keep the roots of non compatible plants from co-mingling). If I was to redesign I May have opted for a few bigger ones and some smaller. I defintely need to expand to get the 2:1 ratio.

2) What is the duration of each flood and drain cycle?
    The flood and drain duration is about 1 cycle every 20 minutes 15 min. fill and 5 min drain.

Let me get this straight- you only have 1 pump, which pumps water from the sump into the fish tank? Then a gravity siphon moves the water into the grow beds?
    -yes one pump in the sump nearest the fish tank. the sump that the growbeds drain to is tied by a 1 1/2'" pipe to the pump sump. This pump runs continuosly, I have an overflow line that maintains the level in the fish tank. This is what the Aussies have labeled as a CHIFT-PIST or Constant Hieght in Fish Tank- Pump in Sump Tank.

This really simplifies things and requires less power. I am really proud to say that my over all power use counting pump and air pump is 67 watts.

Hope that helps.

Members

Helps a lot. Thanks for the info.

It's neat that aquaponics is so modular. You can always add another grow bed, a sump, or even another fish tank.

Helps a lot. Thanks for the info.

It's neat that aquaponics is so modular. You can always add another grow bed, a sump, or even another fish tank.
    Yeah that's another mod I Intend to make. I would like to add some outside growbeds for the summer growing season, but I am worried that when I shutdown the outside growbeds the inside beds might not be able to handle the fish load. Catfish seem to be the fastest growing fish, but I'm not sure they would be up to harvest wieght when it came time to compress the system.

By the way welcome to the forum! I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

I don't know about Tayl0r...by viewing his avatar....he seems to be monkeying around a little Welcome to the show Tayl0r and post often, it's the life blood of our existence here and thanks for joining...you won't find a better group of individuals anywhere
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Your instincts are right, JCO. Taylor is not one to be trusted!

eh, just kidding, he's my older brother

Anyway, we're really glad to have found this forum and hopefully this weekend will be the start of a long obsession with aquaponics!
    -carson

Well....welcome Carson and a re-welcome to your monkey....I mean older brother.... and here's hoping this will also be the beginning of a long obsession not only with aquaponics, but also with this forum and website. Welcome to the show. Stay as long as you like and come back soon
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"