Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Re: Wolfracer's System Build

Interestingly enough, if you brew your beer from grain, the tilapia will be more than happy to eat the spent grain and yeast. Hard to stand up after feeding, but worth the effort.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I emailed the Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks and got a response today. I asked if it would be legal to raise tilapia in a closed system. I know that some state don't allow them. this was thier response. "It is legal to raise tilapia - they are not on our prohibited list. You are correct in that it would be prohibited in releasing them into our waters." So I'm good to go as soon as I get the system up and going!

It's been a busy week for me so I haven't progressed as far as I would like this week. I finished up filling the growbeds with gravel last sunday. My buddy Brett crashed his 4 wheeler and got life watched by helicopter to wichita That same day. Wierd feeling seeing that helicopter come over the greenhouse at treetop level, and then finding out it was for someone you know real well. Oh well, he is doing great and is back home with 2 broken shoulders and plates in the left side of his face.

I am reshifting my thinking after talking with one of the fish hatcheries in the county beside me , I think I am going to go with channel cats in my tank. they are cheapier , easier to get, and litlle more tolerant of newbie mistakes.

Spent monday putting the polycarbonate sheets back on my greenhouse after 25 to 40 mph winds all day. Went out tuesday and purchased grometted self-drilling screws and I guarantee they aren't coming off now!

I will get busy this weekend on the plumbing, The only thing slowing me down is that we are expecting 8-10"s of snow tonight. Right now we have freezing rain.

I know we all like pictures, so here's is the growbeds with what I estimate to be about 1.4 tons of sifted and washed pea gravel.

The great thing about pioneers is we learn quickly and adjust. You have to go with what works. Re-visit what doesn;t when we know more.

Keep it up! Looks great!
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

A little more progress!

Got my growbed supply lines put together, but I am going to have to cut the last line off and put a coupler on it, so I can adjust the level of the rest of the lines. Not sure what happened there but you know stuff happens. been a rough week and with the power off I didn't get a lot done last weekend, but I'm back on the program now.

Here is a closer look at the lines. I used 3/4" lines for each bed with 1-1/2" for the feeder line. The valves are 3/4". I hope this wil produce the effect I am looking for.

I also managed to get the the hole cut in the IBC I am using for my fish tank but now I am going to have to fish a broken saw blade out of it. I was really pleased to see that the tank is quite a bit tougher than I Imagined!

I am hoping to get the tank siphon constructed tommorrow and then I can start working on the sumps .... Getting closer !!

Members

hats off to you and doing it with care and such a nice neat job. It shows that your putting your all into this project.......and in my own words I say...very cool.!!
    ""we are what we eat""

Wolf, you made this statement eariler in one of your post but I think your statement is ill thought....
    Mommyhen you are still so far ahead of me in this hobby, it is I who is jealous!
    You used the word "HOBBY" when what you are actually working toward is a way of life. A hobby is something you do in your spare time...Aquaponics is something that you do all the time because it requires your constant attention to assure it works correctly and keeps working. You only get a break from it when LIFE actually gets in your way..! Time to wake up and smell the roses...in for a penny....in for a POUND..! Fight it as you may but the hook is set as it is with the rest of us and the only way out is to become worm dirt then someone wil make worm tea with your remains..!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Wolf..I am changing my will...I want to be compost then brewed in a bucket
    ""we are what we eat""

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW
    Wolf..I am changing my will...I want to be compost then brewed in a bucket
    LOL !

Today was a banner day!

My system is running! I 've got a few minor leaks to take care of but everything is working as planned. I finished most of the tank plumbing yesterday. I decided that I was going to get after it hard and heavy with the goal of finishing today.

The biggest battle was joining the siphon sump to the pump sump. Using the plastic 1-1/2" bulkhead connectors, the hole saw I had was just a little too small and the barrels were a little thick, so getting the connectors on straight ended up being a battle. Here is a picture of the pump sump with the pump and over flow piping.

This is the piping inside the tank showing the growbed feed siphon, the overflow outlet and the outlet from the pump.

Once the tank was full and flowing into the growbeds it took a little adjusting of the feed valves and now everything is running sweetly (except for the one growbed I shutdown because it was leaking at the drain connector)! All the siphons are working as expected, Also the fish tank level remains the same level. I am stoked!

The way my luck runs I will go out tommorrow and find a big mess!

The question now is how do I proceed? How long should I let this cycle before adding Plants and fish and which should come first? Any help would be appreciated.