Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Members

Re: Wolfracer's System Build

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    hey wolfracer :P how is your camera workin
    So wolfracer, did you get a new camera? I figured the old one must be broke cuz there ain't been any new pics for awhile. Would really be interested in getting an update. Your system really inspired me.

Doc

~

I have been so busy with work and all, that I Pretty much feed the fish and pick the greens and go in for the night. I will try and get some pics.

I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought maybe I should get off my butt and get something done here.

I have been really busy with work and other projects so my system hasn't been getting the attention it needs. I constructed a swirl filter a couple of months ago to help with the amount of sediment the fish were creating. It has worked very well. I let things go until yesterday and you wouldn't believe the amount of sediment collected by this filter.
    Basically what I have is a 55 gallon barrel with a 3/4" line running into it that tees into opposite facing elbows. this creates the swirling action. It is fed by a little giant 400 gph pump in the bottom of the fish tank. Water is returned to the fish tank by a overflow at the top of the tank. This is also helping to add aeration to the water. I have also added a layer of furnace filter material to the barrel. This helps to trap floater stuff ( sorry don't have a better term for it ) in the filter. Here some pics, I am sorry the quality isn't better but it was 100 degrees outside and I have no Idea how hot in the greenhouse so I was constantly wiping sweat from my eyes and couldn't really focus all that well.

This shows the tee and elbow arrangement with the pump turned on.

This is the filter material . I just layer it over the tee piping and clamp it in place, seems to work okay but I would be happier with some better type of support.

Like I said, I let things go for to long so I decided to do water change and really had to clean the sides of the tank as they were getting pretty filthy. Here is a picture of the fish I took this while I was draining the system. Some of them have gotten quite large since I put them in there a year ago.

I thought I would also include a picture of some greenery just to finish up this post. This is swiss chard and some sweet basil .

I really mucked up the water cleaning the tanks and sumps but I went out this morning and the filter is doing it's job and the water is clear again. This a really simple build, and I believe a definite benefit to the overall health of my system.

Members

Inspirational. Read the thread from the first post, and it makes a well documented build. In a good story there are problems, tragedy, success, smiles, good humor and sincere suggestions by contributors.
    Thank you for your diligence.
    System under construction :
    700 + sq. ft. GH Hoop House
    About 1,000 gallon CHIFT PIST
    !BC 325 tank. Below Ground Sump
    Small Camp Wood Stove
    Gravel Beds.
    Best Wishes,
    Dennis
    Oldandfound!
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Thanks for the comments! I hope this thread will help all who take up this hobby.

Members

Wolfracer, thank you for posting the chronicle of your progress.
    I read through the thread a couple of days ago, and have a few questions.

Do you feel the quartz pea gravel was not low enough in pH?
    What do you feel has caused the pH to come down, and what might you do differently with expansion?
    I'm considering black volcanic ash, but haven't yet found a reasonable source.

Why might a larger 2" feedline be better?
    If due to clogging, maybe a screen could alleviate that from happening?

Is each loop siphon independent of the others?
    I wonder if perpetual opposing siphons would be possible in a system.
    For example as one set of siphons empty, the lower water level would trigger the opposing set of siphons.

Members

Thanks for the documentation! Your wife found a good resource cutting down deep containers. Costs below $2.00 USD/sq ft is hard to find in 12" deep ebb and flow beds. Surface area cost management will make this affordable to all. You might want to make sure your loop siphon gets up to the surface minus about 2 inches so that you maximize biofiltration depth while avoiding over growth of algae with surface water! Your prototype picture had your loop a little low from what I saw??...
    "Modern agriculture specializes in the use of land for the conversion of petroleum to food.
    Sustainable agriculture is something your great grandchildren will be able to do regardless of the inputs. Time tests all methods." Keith Mikkelson

Wolfracer, how's the system peculating these days. Give us an update....we might want to stop by for a salad or something
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Right now the system is shut down for winter, but I am thinking of starting it up with a new direction --- Fresh water shrimp in the spring.

Prawns or Shrimp?
    They are different. Prawns are very territorial. And get large. I have had some success with them, but never by themselves. Only in a poly format, they have a symbiotic relationship with tilapia, I don't beleive it's direct though. I lack the space and equipment to nail down exactly if it's a direct or indirect relationship. Let me know what you find out. I run mine as a seasonal crop, picking up the post larvae in the spring, harvesting in the fall.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."