Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Wolfracer's System Build

I don’t think it will, but I’m not 100%. I’ll check their web site. I hope not, I’ve used the stuff when I couldn’t get enough rain water.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

It took some searching. Their f.a.q section is down right now, but this is what I came up with. .AmQuel Plus® gives you all the same fine features of original
    AmQuel - plus it quickly removes nitrates and nitrites! Amquel Plus
    controls and removes all forms of ammonia, chlorine, chloramines
    and toxic pheromones from both fresh and salt water. AmQuel
    Plus is nontoxic to all aquarium inhabitants or biological filters as
    well as humans and pets.
    Add AmQuel Plus to existing aquariums or to new water during
    water changes. In general AmQuel Plus does not affect the water's
    pH, and removes toxic
    organics from older water for
    fewer water changes.
    AmQuel Plus has a non-toxic
    odor that quickly disappears
    in water.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Vitamin C removes chlorine and also cloramines, I think! I've been using ascorbic acid since they told us about it in this thread: Removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C? Clik

I buy my ascorbic acid in the health foods store in Billings .... I buy it in bulk by the pounds, rather than prepackaged!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
    Vitamin C removes chlorine and also cloramines, I think! I've been using ascorbic acid since they told us about it in this thread: Removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C? Clik

I buy my ascorbic acid in the health foods store in Billings .... I buy it in bulk by the pounds, rather than prepackaged!
    I use charcoal and zeolites to remove ammonia, etc. I just go to the thrift shop and pick up new or used pantyhose/nylons for $.50 each, pour some zeolites (when I can get it) or WalMart aquarium charcoal into the 'sock, tie a knot in it, cut off the excess, and put it in the tank .... it floats around because it gets an air bubble in it, but after a few days it sinks ..... when it gets clogged with algae, I take it out and swish it around in some of the water I draw out, then I put it back in to go again .... I only use them two or three times before I throw them away! Zeolites are the best, but they are expensive, so I buy them at thrift stores (they are used for removing odors, etc., put them in a nylon, and use them the same way as the charcoal .... the good thing about zeolites is that every month or so, you just take them out, soak them overnight in water with a couple of spoons of aquarium salt, rinse them real good in non-city water and you're good to go!

The only problem with buying the nylons is that the gal in the thrift store would probably think I'm a cross-dresser, so I have the wife buy them for me!

I was just about to ask you what color of heels (or do you wear heels in all that snow) and purse you liked the best
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Amquel+ is safe, but expensive. Sodium Ascorbate is what I use. Quite cheap, safe and effective.
    See removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Good news Well started pumping again after putting 2 150 watt flood lights in the well house and the temp got above 20 F. I started getting good ole well water. Still waiting for a hose to unthaw, but I carried 10 five gallon buckets enough to get a good flow going. I will top it off after the hose unthawed. Greenhouse is a nice and cozy 82 F. Guess I'll go and pick a couple of tomatos and have a sandwich!

Thanks for all the help during my little crisis!

Glad to see you got it all sorted wolfracer it always sucks when things are not working because they are froze up! We had warm weather the last two days, it only got down to 20F last nite .... I hope this lasts for a few months but I know it won't We'll probably be sending some of this warm weather to you soon

Members

I'd be interested in learning more about how you are heating the greenhouse. Are you using primarily radiant heat, or is it a combination of the radiant and oil heater? Here's a few questions I have in regards to the radiant heat:

* Do you have a thermostat that kicks water heater on?
    * Do you use a pump to move water from the tank through the floor?
    * How much propane are you going through to keep the house heated to you last state low of 52F?

I love your setup, and must say that yours really inspired me to start researching aquaponics in hopes of beginning my own project.

Thanks dwaller!

To answer your question I have a 115 volt thermostat that is wired to a plug in that controls both the pump and the oil heater. When the thermostat kicks in the pump starts moving water thru the system . I just use a 400 gph pond pump that sets in a half barrel, the water comes out of the floor and into the barrel, the pump then pumps it into the water heater and from the water heater to the floor. I only use the radiant heat when it is going to be really cold 20 degressor lower otherwise the oil heater does a pretty good job. When the radiant heat is running fulltime I use about 40 dollars a week in propane.