Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Wolfracer's System Build

Wolfracer
    We are lucky enough to have a landscape company close to our house. It is $28.00 a ton for pea gravel. We also live close to the Missouri & Mississippi rivers and gravel is cheap from them - $17.00 a ton. BUT - you have to hire a subcontractor to deliver which is $80.00! So we went with the landscaper and took our truck and loaded it ourselves and saved some money.
    Breeding

Members

I was wondering if you got started on your floor heat?
    Its starting to cool off!

Yes I have started on it. I put a small electric water heater (4 gallon) on it. it works minimally on warmer nights (above 45 it keeps it around 60 degrees). right now I am shopping for a propane water heater around 30 gallons or so. the electric ones just don't have a fast enough recovery rate. I put a small 1500 watt oil heater in ther with it at it is making up the difference for now.

system update!

Well I haven't posted any pictures lately and I know you all love pictures! I have been really busy lately with systems upgrades and stuff at work, so the project hasn't recieved the attention it deserves. I added the 4 gallon water heater to my radiant heat and with the small oil heater it works fairly well. At the time of this picture it was 42 F outside and 73.4 F inside with cloud cover. Notice the condensation on the walls in these pictures.

Plant and fish growth has been phenomenal, I have dehydrated over 2 pints of basil and harvested about 5 lbs of swiss chard from the river bed system. The growbeds are doing really well. Lettuce and celery have really taken off lately. Brussel sprouts are really going.

What is amazing is the tomato plant growth. Both the cherry tomato's and the better boy plants have just grown over everything. If there is some thing they can grow on they do it. even though the temps have been below freezing outside these things are still flowering and producing tomatos.

Here are the regular tomato's trying to take over the fish tank.

Things are moving along well. I also have exciting news! We have purchased the 3 lots diagonally across from us, and we are planning to build this into a retirement business over the next 5-6 years.We are thinking it will be a combination of aquaponics and regular gardening to sell at the local farmers markets and resturants. Hopefully when I retire from the college it will be up an running.

Well enjoy and let me know what you think.

WOW!
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

looking good wolf, it's been a joy watching you develop your system. i'd still like to see those fish
    one life one love.

Quote Originally Posted by mpugh5@aol.com
    i'd still like to see those fish
    I hadn't figured that one out yet. I don't want to net them. Thier fins get caught in the net and it makes a mess getting them unstuck. When they come up from the bottom to eat they are too fast to get a picture with my digital camera. The bottom where they hangout is 40" down and the insulation makes it dark, so I can't get thier picture that way. Any Ideas?

I added a 29 gallon propane water heater to my radiant heat, and pulled out the 4 gallon electric one, it is working great now and the water heater hardly runs. Still need colder weather to definitively test it, but I am thinking that I have this part solved.

I set my camera for 3 shot burst and got this one! certainly not one of the big ones for sure.

Here is the propane water heater for the floor heat the thing hardlly even runs.

What type of pump runs the floor heating?
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

nice, how is the floor heat set up? i'm on the trail of a 100,000 btu pool heater(propane). i don't want to cook anything when i set up. i'd really would of perfered a multi fuel boiler but i don't have multi fuel money at this time.
    one life one love.