Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: hello from the NW

A safe rule of thumb would be......1 POUND of fish per 5 gals.
    Of course, you have to have the correct amount of growbeds to support the fish also.
    You could start with less GB's , but you'd have less fish too.

Cats can survive even if there is ice on the water. I'm not sure about the others, but they are game fish too, they might be able to go pretty low.

Might find some info here....

http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/fact.htm
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

ok i am going to start out with tillapia before i move on to the other fish. im going to raise just about 10 mozambique tilapia in a 100 gallon sea clear show tank that my freind sold me for 300 bucks with a heater, gravel, airator, and i get to keep it in her green house as long as i teach her when i figure it out. im growing tamatoes, oregano, green beans, and carrots but im not sure if they will grow. im trying a water temp of 73-76ish. i was wondering how long it takes the mozambique tilapia till they are ready to mate? i think im starting with 3-5 inch ones. i have heard any where from3-4 months to 2 years till they will mate

Quote Originally Posted by WAbedroomponics
    ok i am going to start out with tillapia before i move on to the other fish. im going to raise just about 10 mozambique tilapia in a 100 gallon sea clear show tank that my freind sold me for 300 bucks with a heater, gravel, airator, and i get to keep it in her green house as long as i teach her when i figure it out. im growing tamatoes, oregano, green beans, and carrots but im not sure if they will grow. im trying a water temp of 73-76ish. i was wondering how long it takes the mozambique tilapia till they are ready to mate? i think im starting with 3-5 inch ones. i have heard any where from3-4 months to 2 years till they will mate
    Definitely not 2 years. Those could be ready to mate in the next few months.

You can grow anything you want! Take us some pics.

Members

ok i thought 2 years seemed long for a fish lol. i will take a few pics when i get the fish and the plants are over the grow beds last time i checked which was friday i had 4 tamatoe plants with two healthy looking leaves and the green beans were just about to grow their first 2 leaves so it shouldnt be long i should have my fish by thursday if everything goes as planned i have had a dirt garden before and i helped my uncle with his bass pond and this is much more fun. although catching 10-30 pound bass out of his pond was fun. though some say that feeding alive feeder rats to bass is messed up but big fish gotta eat

Some cultivated hybrids are said to grow to plate size in 4 months, but I won't know until I try it. I'm expecting 6-8 months on average with closer to 8 months for my first few batches. The fish can only grow so fast, but if you optimize their feed, water quality dissolved oxygen levels, and water temperatures... perhaps you can get some amazing results. Heck, try singing to your fish. Maybe that will make them happy, and maybe happy fish grow faster than unhappy fish!

Members

its proven to work with the plants atleast lol i am going to try mid too upper 70s and 2 airators because my airator is made for a much bigger tank and i have seen fish die from lack o oxygen and have never heard of to much as long as they are in water that is

Members

Welcome to the forum.
    I am Dennis, and I live in Maple Valley, Wa. Early this Summer I found aqauaponics. The early stages of greenhouse building were under way when The AP bug bit.
    So I read and studied almost endlessly for weeks at this forum, YouTube, University studies, The Australian Forum, the information, techniques, science, hardware, and regional climates - all of it seemed confounding.
    Some of the participants here are 30 pages or more deep in their system builds. Seeing one develop from idea to fruition and beyond helped to settle the dust.
    Tilapia were eliminated because of our NW temperatures. Koi are radically expensive initially (hearty however), costly to replace if a major failure happens. Yellow Perch grow slowly, I am moving toward trout. TroutLodge (google it) raises them, available in the Puyallup neighborhood.http://www.troutlodge.com/?pageID=42...2223712C0EA1BF
    I have a tentative date of 01/01/11 to have a system running. This week will be posting up progress on the greenhouse build.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Members

WELCOME im getting my fish in my main tank tomorrow or monday depends on when they arrive i cant wait

A PLACE TO SAY HELLO is just that; a place to introduce yourself and tell where you are from in case there are other members close to you and whether you have some experience or that you are new to AP. After you introduce yourself, please pick a topic of interest and start your own thread there. This way when someone is looking to see how others have done things, they can search the topic of their choice and see items of interest to them whether it be grow bed info or how to fillet a Tilapia.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    A PLACE TO SAY HELLO is just that; a place to introduce yourself and tell where you are from in case there are other members close to you and whether you have some experience or that you are new to AP. After you introduce yourself, please pick a topic of interest and start your own thread there. This way when someone is looking to see how others have done things, they can search the topic of their choice and see items of interest to them whether it be grow bed info or how to fillet a Tilapia.
    I 2nd the motion!