Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBC tanks

Re: IBC tanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    I may have found some that don't cost too much......they have FLOURIDE in them. I was told they will rinse them out. (they are trying to save/use the flouride)

...What do you guys think....?....will they rinse (pressure wash) clean and be 'safe' to use ???
    I would clean and rinse it several times. There are 3 main Fluorides used in water treatment and only 1 is liquid, H2SiF6. One option would be to scrub the insides down with a brush and baking soda. Leave the layer of baking soda all over the inside and allow it to dry. Then brush off as much of the white chalky stuff as you can. A better, but more expensive option, would be to get activated carbon or charcoal and crush it up into a very fine powder. Use a brush to brush the insides the same way. The carbon will absorb it and you can simply rinse it off thereafter. Since plastic is not porous, this should work quite well.

All-in-all, it depends what kind of "Fluoride" was in there. If you pressure wash it and there are still trace amounts, most likely it would not be enough to harm any biological systems it comes in contact with, including you. Fluoride compounds commonly used are quite water soluble, which means the more you use the system, the less and less Fluoride there will be floating around in it anyway.

Hope that helps!

Thanks urbanfarmer....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

In your guys experience do ibc container plastic need to be covered to prevent algae? Or does it not allow that much light through
    always allow room to grow, you can always cut it shorter, but cant cut it longer

Quote Originally Posted by drdreww
    In your guys experience do ibc container plastic need to be covered to prevent algae? Or does it not allow that much light through

I had to use insulation on mine because the Algae was building up too quickly, I had some foil insulation leftover from a project that I have gotten from Lowes :

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-BP4 ... facetInfo=

This is the link to my system:
    Getting my feet wet...